What's new

A Peculiar Browser Behavior (1 Viewer)

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
IE has an autocomplete feature, maybe that is interfering.

(and Opera has far better keyboard support than IE. Just thought that needed saying. ;) )

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter

My bad to steer this thread off the topic... but since I said it I guess I need to explain too. Also note I said IE; Firefox has improved a lot on keyboard use, though it is still lagging behind Opera.

Primarily I mean that the keyboard has been a real consideration in the design of the browser with Opera. There are no annoying little mouse steps needed to do most things.

For instance, to get a new open tab, enter a web address and open that page, you just type (as quickly as you can, no pauses necessary) ctrl-n www.hometheaterforum.com enter and the page loads. This works reliably every time, no matter what the browser is doing. You can do this in mid-page-load if you want - the page you are loading keeps loading while you get a clean tab to load the new page in, no muss no fuss.

In IE, it's hit ctrl-n, wait until its loaded the page it was already on again, or bash escape until it stops loading - usually a bad idea, because it then starts loading another page from the hard drive to tell you it can't load the page from the internet (!) and after it finally stops churning, you still have to get your mouse cursor to the address line so you can click and then enter your text. I feel like I lose a year of life every time I have to sit there waiting... even though it may only be five seconds each time.

Opera has keyboard shortcuts for virtually everything. I don't even know them all, but the important ones I use a lot. Don't have the energy to describe them all, but they're at:

http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/nomouse/

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Yeah, but there is still a lot you can't do with they keyboard, and the slow response and hard drive churning etc still is in there.

Again my apologies for the mostly inadvertent thread highjack; I hope the answers given first up there solved the issue...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks