What's new

A PCI modem that works GREAT! (1 Viewer)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Folks,
I'm sure many folks here have this attitude :thumbsdown: about PCI modems in general.
I think I know why: the chipset implementation leaves much to be desired. The 3Com/US Robotics Winmodems are notoriously bad for its subpar performance--which soured a lot of people on PCI modems in general.
Fortunately, I did find a few that do work great. I'm right now testing a Best Data Model 56HP PCI modem that uses the Convexent (neé Rockwell) chipset--and I was most pleasantly surprised by its excellent performance. In fact, it is actually faster in some ways than my Zoom Telephonics Model 2949L V.90 external modem! :eek: I think it's a case that the Convexent chipset works very well on the PCI interface and the fact the Windows 9X/ME/2000/XP drivers work very well for this modem. :emoji_thumbsup:

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Actually, for those of us who used to do tech support, the words Connexant/Rockwell raise feelings not dissimilar to how most of the US felt in the latter half of september when someone said Al Quaeda... ;)
I'm glad yours is working well, and it's possible they've made great strides lately, but I would not have hesitated to call the Connexant winmodems pure excrement had you asked me. :) Their hardware modems have been much better, though, and tunable to work excellently.
Lucent based winmodems, however, are very good if you don't mind the drawbacks of all software modems (ie, they use CPU cycles, won't work on all operating systems etc). Great connect rates, work reliably... excellent modems allround.
I would agree that the Motorolas aren't that hot.
This is not intended to rain on your parade, rather just to point out that Connexant at least historically have put out a lot of really crappy PCI modems.
Winmodems have about as much hardware as is required to connect to the phoneline - the drivers are the modem, so like I said, it's possible Connexant have finally gotten things right (and it's about time, if so!) :)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Kimmo,

I think what helps about the modem I'm trying out now is that the new Best Data 56HP-92 that uses the latest Convexant chipset with V.92/V.44 support.

I am still pleasantly surprised by its speed, given the reputation of PCI modems in general in the past.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
What motherboard are you using that PCI modem with? It is qutie possible that your motherboard is more friendly with regards to PCI latency/bus timings.
Have you tried playing a computer game with it? Like, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, or some other networked 3D-intensive game? That would tell you if the modem is a piece of fecal matter or not. :)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Max,

The motherboard I'm using is the Abit AB-BM6 motherboard with 320 MB of RAM installed and a Celeron A 466 MHz CPU.

I'm still impressed by the Best Data modem's speed.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I wonder if they've finally started to make hardware modems in the PCI format, they have been few and far between until now.

Or else perhaps Connexant have finally gotten it right.

Fortunately, I'm out of the modem hell forever (?) as I'm a broadband user.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks