What's new

A Paramount Easter (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Among the backlog of 15 films I managed to catch up with this Easter, three of them were greenlit by former Paramount head Brad Grey, which contributed to his resignation last year, after 12 years as studio head, shortly before he died of cancer. All three were "personal" projects for the film directors, who were allowed full artistic freedom: Martin Scorsese's Silence, Darren Arronofsky's mother! and Alexander Payne's Downsizing. It struck me that not since the auteur boom from the ´70's up to Heaven's Gate in 1980, has a major Hollywood studio backed such relentlessly uncommercial films, without interfering with the directors. Interspersed with the other classics, foreign film and blockbusters I saw last week, I found these three movies to be very interesting and creative. (Paramount is now so frightened by movies that aren't formulaic blockbusters, that they bailed out of releasing Alex Garland's Annihilation outside of the USA). Unfortunately, the extreme expense of film production now means that films made by the major studios have to be made to suit everybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks