3D A*P*E (1976) - 2-D / 3-D Blu-Ray Coming Soon From Kino Lorber!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I had no problems with the disc on my BDP-93, the only "hiccups" I saw were inherent in the film elements. Call me wrong, but I prefer that any "mistakes" such as 3D misalignment and hairs in the gate be left in, as that's how it was seen in theaters. If they didn't fix them then, they shouldn't be fixed now.

That said, this movie is REALLY bad! I wouldn't suggest this for anyone who can't laugh at bad movies. The poster is a hundred times more exciting than the movie itself.
Did you see the recent release of Comin' At Ya!? Some egregious gate hair and dirt, in addition to misalignment.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I just have to disagree. If there's dirt and other debris and the budget allows, it should be cleaned up. I doubt the movie creators shot it intending for there to be debris on the film.
Well, it's likely they also shot "APE" intending for it to be a good movie, but it isn't- but I wouldn't want anyone going back and trying to improve on it! :)

Did you see the recent release of Comin' At Ya!? Some egregious gate hair and dirt, in addition to misalignment.
Yes, I heard that many people found that unwatchable but I had no problem with it, other than that I didn't like the changes they made to the original version with the black-and-white and such. I'd already seen it hundreds of times on field-sequential VHS and the alignment on that was the same, I've always been able to focus on images with strong separation.

Reactions: Interdimensional

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Nice to read all of the above and very interesting views.
Having been weaned on Ed Wood & Lugosi films and fandom as long as I can remember I'm pleased to report my APE BR has arrived so with this in mind will probably have to watch it at least twice off the cuff. I do like to see the odd scratch and dust marks just to remind me it was once a 2000ft core of film I am watching and not totally digital. Wasn't so long ago I had 35mm in here for some time, you other ex 'reels of film people' will know what I am on about.

Totally in agreement that these classic slices of 3D history need saving and as collectors of the already finished articles now available we can do our bit by supporting them as best we can.
Bring on the APE

Reactions: Interdimensional

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Now A*P*E was what I call fun!
We did in fact watch it twice back to back, the second time with a superb commentary by Hillary Hess which was extremely informative.
Probably me being off the radar but I even enjoyed watching the Cement film splices occasionally flashing up on the bottom of the screen, you'll probably gather I love Acetate films...sad I know.

Of special interest was the use of SPACEVISION on this 1976 low budget and the depth was pretty awesome. The shot where the wooden post/Jeep come flying out of the screen had my wife screaming...Result for the makers!

I loved this film it was right on so many wrong levels and has instilled a new interest in my purchasing a Ape costume again. All the film was short of was Titanic cruising by with Konga on board now that would have just topped it off nicely.

{10/10 from me although the disc itself does have a glitch 13 minutes in causing juddering. This can be remedied by playing in reverse for a few seconds then forward again}

Crisp pictures, excellent 3D and a great job by 3-D Film Archive bringing this back to the screen looking so good.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
{10/10 from me although the disc itself does have a glitch 13 minutes in causing juddering. This can be remedied by playing in reverse for a few seconds then forward again}
I noticed the juddering also but I don't remember when it started. I did the same thing, went back and then forward and that cleared it.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Outreacher