"A" or "B" What does it mean?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dario_B, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Dario_B

Dario_B Auditioning

When someone speaks of "A" or "B" for example on Sony A/V Rceiver add what does it mean?

Factory Refurbished?

Less than perfect the first time?

HELP . . .HT FNG,
    Dario_B
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

"A" Usually means it was never sold but "caught" by the dealer or MFR's quality check and sent beck to recondition[refurb].

"B" is normally a consumer return by a store to the MFR that can't be sold as "open box"

Take these as guidliens, rather then gospel though.Many things vary by the MFRS.

3. Dario_B

Dario_B Auditioning

Thanks I see this more in For Sale or Ebay items and just didn't know what to look for.

Dario_B
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Lewis

I never heard of A stock being other than brand new, never opened.

I thought anything that had to be rechecked,reconditioned, or opened and reclosed for any reason is B stock.

5. John S

John S Producer

I have heard a sales person use the A-Stock term before meaning something other than new. But never really got any further clarifications on it. Interesting.

6. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Another "I never heard of A stock being other than brand new, never opened", here.

FWIW, some stores, Fry's Electronics for example, will reseal returned items and sell them for the same price as new, unopened stock. However, there is no attempt to hide that these are returned or opened items, they have a sticker saying they have been inspected, inventoried and tested.

7. Ron AZ

Ron AZ Agent

I have always understood "A" as brand new, never opened and "B" as opened or was sent back to company and mfg checked everything over and are now saying it is fine.

Also, be aware that some manufacturers will not honor warranty if the item was purchased on E-Bay (make sure you read the fine print and get any warranty in writing.

Ron AZ