What's new

A note to Ron and HTF members...Vista (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...vista_cost.txt

I've been reading this and I'm still only a third of the way through it....but what I have read frightens me.

Then I hear of ATI's new Cable Card based TV Tuner. I was already to buy Vista AND the Tuner, but after hearing that it is loaded with DRM, and all the restrictions on the ATI based device, I finally said to hell with it.

Apparently, in the future, DRM will be laced on the Motherboard BIOS, in hard drives, chips, and graphics cards, hampering system performance and disabling features that people like musicians, or Emergency Personal need in day to day operations.

Recorded 150 hours of HD content on your new terrabite hard drive, and it just crashed? Boo for you, all that is gone because you cannot transfer it to a portable media device or HD. Want to watch recorded content on a networked PC? You're also out of luck. PC A with Cablecard cannot watch what PC B with cablecard recorded.

If this is confusing and frustrating to PC enthusiasts, imagine how the general public will feel when they find out they can't burn to DVD, or transfer to an Ipod no more?

So, I propose that everyone here spread the word and say "NO to any version of Vista or Cablecard based tuner".

No matter how much you want to give them your money, we can send a great message to folks by telling them we don't want this restricted crap no more and our digital freedom back. If we can get stores like Circuit City and Best Buy to follow (highly doubtfull, I know, but we can dream), we can make a bigger impact.

What does everyone else think about this DRM junk that's starting to get a bit out of control, when it treats the average user like the pirates they are trying to stop?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well, there was this law that was proposed in the House (look up 'analog hole') but I don't know where it went.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Neil, I think that DRM law went into effect in July of '04. Maybe it was 2003? Can't remember, but I do know that I did get a DVR before the cutoff.

Didn't we talk about this awhile ago? In effect, it will force everyone to choose only 3 hours of primetime programing, all live, because the networks can put DRM markers on all of their programs so we won't be able to record any of them.

Glenn

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Some of my favorite highlights.

I have to say, his point....”if we promise not to ever buy BR & HD-DVD” is one I understand.
I am way behind the digital manipulation curve on my PC, just wanting to get digital camera output in a pleasing compilation with music to my TV. Intend to bite the bullet and learn it soon. But those pesky DVD-burners which keep wanting to go belly up for obscure reasons have put the brakes on my learning curve in the past. Why do I have the feeling they will react worse to Vista OS.

Microsoft uses Studio 'excuse' = Vista = Air Traffic control goes down; Gee it’s just like the,
the,
Movies! :laugh:

Personally when it ever becomes reliably, irrevocably available, I'd like to stick to [my kind of] HD content, hard copy own'd, played on my own'd display, or via OTA and my purchased (not leased) sat/cable STB...
If a burner will ever play nice, compile my family home memories, and walk across room to player, keeping my computer for communicating, work and researching purchases and never the twain do meet. [except I'd want HD on the laptop on the plane]
[tongue in cheek] [yet serious]

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I joined Netflix and stoped buying DVDs years ago. I only buy a handfull of movies now - after I watch them on Netflix to make sure they are not dogs.

I've found a legal program where I can burn my Itunes to a virtual 'cd' then rip them back as mp3. Maybe I lose some quality but it's worth it to gain ownership. I've been thinking about switching to a different competitor - but I'll still using the same strategy to own my music.

I agree that studios have lost touch with consumers and PC makers seem to be following suit. I'm wondering if a competitor were to show up who did not buy in to all this DRM brew-haha if they would have an anti-trust case?

I think a better - and more likely course - would be a political movement to restrict DRM invasiveness. Prop 111 "Media Trade and Fair Commerce" It would get considerable public support and bring the issue front and center. Even though it would get tied in court forever it would get the studios on the defensive and consumers on the offensive - which is how things SHOULD be in a free market. (free market - not the cooperative poly-opoly we currently have)

I know France (of all places) recently passed some legislation about DRM that was not popular with the media poly-opoly.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Well, here's a question.

Does anyone here work for a news station? Either local, or big city? Maybe they could do a bunch of stories on a 'Shame on You' type segment that would run at the top of the hour so most of the news hounds see it? THAT would help get the word out about Vista and it's DRM crap.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
neil, the word IS already out, to the people who care. putting this on the news will accomplish nothing, since your average computer owner will use whatever operating system comes on their new computer. most people are not going to switch, no matter the reason.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks