A NIGHT TO REMEMBER/Cameron's TITANIC on the Big Screen!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Apruzzese, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Just wanted to remind the good HTF members of another fantastic show coming this Saturday, April 20, at the Loew's Jersey Theatre (located at Journal Square in downtown Jersey City, New Jersey - 10 minutes from New York City), a 3300-seat movie palace currently undergoing restoration.
    Titanic
    A 90th Anniversary Film Tribute
    Saturday, April 20
    A NIGHT TO REMEMBER(1958) 4 PM (Doors Open at 3:40)
    TITANIC (1997) 8PM (Doors Open at 7:15)
    Plus -- Charles A. Haas & John P. Eaton, authors of "Titanic: A Journey Through Time"; "Titanic: Triumph & Tragedy" and "Titanic: Destination Disaster" will give a presentation from 7:30 to 8 PM. Hass and Eaton are the only two historians on the Titanic to have personally dived to the doomed liner's resting site.
    Also – In the Grand Lobby, an exhibit of memorabilia from the Titanic International Society, a non-profit historical organization based in New Jersey dedicated to perpetuating the history of the RMS Titanic and those who sailed aboard her.
    Ticket Prices:
    $5 for each show (evening show includes presentation by Haas & Eaton) OR $8 for both shows
    For more information and directions, visit the website www.loewsjersey.org or call (201) 798-6055.
    Both films will be presented in 35mm on our giant full-stage 50 foot screen, and Cameron's TITANIC will also be in Sony Digital Stereo.
    Hope to see you there!

2. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Pete
    You jumped the gun on me. I was going to start this thread this morning![​IMG]
    Being a HUGE, all things Titanic fan, I will definitely be there for Cameron's Titanic and the presentation. I would also love to see ANTR on that screen, but I may not be able to make both shows.
    Lot's of Titanic fans here at the HTF, (plus a couple of bashers[​IMG]), so hopefully a few will try and make it to this event.
    BTW, Pete, are yo sure Camerons Titanic is being shown in digital stereo? I thought that the thater wasn't equipped yet for digital sound and that it was going to be shown in Dolby surround.
    No matter really, I'll be there regardless.[​IMG]

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Regarding the "digital stereo" notation, I grabbed that entire notice from a note that Bob at the Loew's had sent out. You're right - I'm pretty sure it's Dolby Stereo, not SDDS. What the theater has is a Sony Digital Stereo processor in the booth, perhaps that's where the confusion comes from, but I'll e-mail Bob and get clarification, just to be certain.

4. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

Sounds very tempting...

I'm kinda turned off that the sound will only be in stereo, though.

It would be a hell of a drive for me from Delaware, too!

dunno.

5. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Jerry,
    I've heard Dolby Stereo at the Loew's and it sounds fine - they have a full complement of surround speakers and a very wide stage set-up, so the sound is very well-balanced.
    As for the drive, c'mon, now. I drove from North Jersey all the way to Washington DC to see 2001: A Space Odyssey! [​IMG]

6. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Come on Jerry. You and John Williamson can split the driving duties.
    You know that you are dying to see it on the BIG screen again, right?[​IMG]
    If you do decide to go, PM me and we'll meet in the theater.

7. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Tino,

you've got me pegged, how I would love to attend this event! But as Jerry stated it is a pretty good drive for us, but I will be talking to him about it though.

Seeing 'Titanic' on the big screen once again would be so awesome!

8. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    UPDATE on a guest just confirmed:

9. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Two films on the same subject. One delves into the drama and lives of the people on board, the other concocts a love story as the main thrust of the screenplay. One is exceptionally well directed and acted with a compelling screenplay, the other throws everything into the mix so it hits all demographic points and ages. One features the actual scuttling of a ship (the Ile deFrance), the other "state of the art" CGI. To me, there is no contest between which of the two films is better. [​IMG]

10. Jerry Gracia

...Ok, me and Jon are pretty much fully intending on attending this awesome event now.

We were wondering if this was something that we could just show up to and pay at the door...or do we need to make reservations of any kind?

Thanks!

(Tino, Jon will be contacting you via email.)

11. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Jerry

I just emailed John back with instructions on how we can meet. If you guys need help with directions, parking etc..just let me know.

See you there. BTW, Pete App...are you going?

12. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Jerry,

You should have no trouble getting in, but just to be safe, since you're making a long drive, here's the number for information - (201) 798-6055; you'll probably get an answering machine, but leave a message and someone should get back to you about reserving tickets. Are you coming up for both films?

Tino, I wish I could be there, but my wife and I have tickets to another event that night that we made plans for a long time ago. You will have to let me know how it goes, ok?

13. Jerry Gracia

Peter,

I called first thing this morning and actually spoke to a kind man who said that they don't really do reservations and that it wouldn't be problem for me to just show up a little early and buy the tickets there...so it all sounds good!

I told him where I was coming from, too.

Should be a great experience!

(We will be there for James Cameron's 1997 "TITANIC")

14. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Peter K,
    your absolutly right, 'Titanic' IS the better movie. [​IMG]

15. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

Peter, I think you're wrong about the Ile de France - that was done for The Last Voyage. For those who don't remember, the Ile de France was the main rescue ship in the Andrea Doria disaster.

I prefer A Night To Remember myself.

16. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Fortunately for Titanic fans, BOTH films are being shown![​IMG]
    I love them both, with Titanic edging out ANTR by a smidge.

17. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

18. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    I have just returned from seeing James Cameron's Titanic on the big screen at the landmark Loews Jersey theater.
    Seeing it again almost 5 years later in a theater I was amazed at how well this film still holds up and how it truly is a cinematic experience.
    This film won 11 Oscars and IMO, every one of them is deserved. The cinematography, music, art direction, visual effects, editing, sound, etc.. all added to the completely believable
    depiction of the Titanic and brought it to life so spectacularly.
    James Cameron's direction remains very impressive considering the size and scope of this film. In addition he also wrote, produced and co-edited the film.
    The structure of this film is simple yet
    multi layered. It works on many different levels which is one of the many reasons it was so successful
    Many have trashed this film, as I am sure many will again very soon [​IMG], and I for one have never had a problem with anyone disliking this film. How can you debate someone else's opinion? You can't of course.
    However when unfounded criticisms are leveled at the film, like it was inaccurate (it is the most historically accurate depiction of the sinking to date) or it was only successful because millions of teeneage girls went to see it because of Leo (Right..Man In The Iron Mask or The Beach anyone?) I have always felt the need to defend it.
    A film doesn't make almost two billion dollars worldwide unless it connects with a great many people. Not one particuar group of people, but a large, diverse group of people.
    Titanic was successful worldwide because it appealed to virtually every demographic there is. It's as simple as that. Seeing it again tonight, the audience was just that. There were old, young, couples, teenagers etc..Also in attendance were fellow HTF'ers Jerry Gracia and John Williamson and friends. It was good to meet them.
    Titanic has become a much worshipped, much maligned modern classic. It's achievements at the boxoffice, its Oscars, its very existence is a blessing to many, and a curse to others.
    To me, it was a great visceral experience. It was thrilling, spectacular, sad, tragic, funny, serious...all the elements I look for in a film. Seeing it again tonight, almost 5 years later, actually made me appreciate it more.
    Kudos James Cameron.[​IMG]

19. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Couldn't have said it better myself Tino, probably because it's 3:30 in the morning, I just walked in the door and i'm beat. [​IMG]
    Tonight was pure magic for Jerry and I, we thought we would never get to see this on the big screen again, and indeed if someone had told us last week that we'd not only be seeing it again in the most beautiful film palace I have personally ever seen, but also meet and speak with two of the most famous TITANIC historians and authors, I would have thought you were nuts!
    No film has ever affected me like this one. It is a deeply personal film for me, not in the sense that I lost a relative in the tragedy, but in the sense that I was so familliar with it's story, and with the ship, that seeing it portrayed with almost graphic realism just utterly destroyed me. As I watched it, I felt as if a small opening to the past had opened up, and I was able to pop my head through it and actually watch the disaster happen...right in front of me.
    After years of watching every TITANIC documentary I could, and studying those event's, when I saw the film for the first time, all the pain, sadness, and sheer heartbreak of that terrible night hit me like a thunderbolt, and I wept for TITANIC for the first time.
    As for the event tonight at the Lowes Jersey Theater, I would just like to say that hearing John Eaton, and Charles Haas speak tonight was a thrill! And getting to meet and speak with them was a thrill + 10! I'm very proud to say that they both were kind enough to sign both my copy of the 'Titanic' dvd, and a copy of thier book 'TITANIC: Triumph and Tragedy', which I purchased while I was their. And I was very pleased to meet finally, our very own Tino and his fiancee, two wonderful people, it was a pleasure. [​IMG]
    In closing, tonight's event's are forever branded in my mind, as i'm sure they are in Jerry's and Tino's. It was a night of cherished memories, wonder, discovery, and a chance to see once again one of the greatest films of all time in all it's glory.

20. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

I saw Titanic four or five times in the cinema, including its first showing on opening day, and finishing up about three months later, as it was still chugging along in the box office.

Since then, I've seen it on TV once or twice, and the DVD a few times. Great movie, and it still moves me.