What's new

"A Night In The Life Of Matchbox Twenty" DVD (1 Viewer)

CraigL

Screenwriter
Just in case anybody was interested...I just purchased this online and apparently, it's only available through this one store.

https://secure.encryptedtransactions...F-9058-00-00-0

Rock sensation MATCHBOX twenty played the show of a lifetime to fans and followers at Philips Arena in Atlanta, GA on June 28, a stopover on their More Than You Think You Are Tour 2003. Rolling out hit after hit, the band played with the intensity of the multi-platinum artists they are, while creating an intimate atmosphere reminiscent of their early club days.

Reaching new visual and sonic heights, this classic DVD was shot in state of the art high definition format with 17 cameras, utilizing multiple angles, capturing all the nuances of a stellar live performance. MATCHBOX twenty can be heard with depth and clarity, as this DVD was recorded in 5.1 PCM stereo.

A Night In The Life Of MATCHBOX twenty will be released in 16:9 format, and offered in Dolby Digital Stereo, Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound, and DTS Digital Surround Sound. Accessible to every household, this DVD is also compatible with Sony Play Station.

With nineteen songs, spanning three enormously successful albums, this double DVD also includes documentary footage, and a behind the scenes photo gallery from one of rock’s most prominent bands. A Night In The Life Of MATCHBOX twenty is more than an evening to remember.

Special Note: When you order this 2 DVD set you also receive a FREE 20 page Deluxe colour Tour Book. This 2 DVD set with the tour booklet is only available through this offer and is not available in stores.

COLD
REAL WORLD
SOUL
DISEASE
COULD I BE YOU
3 AM
MAD SEASONM
FEEL
HAND ME DOWN
IF YOU'RE GONE
BRIGHT LIGHTS
BENT
UNWELL
BACK TO GOOD
DOWNFALL
YOU'RE SO REAL
SO SAD SO LONELY
LONGDAY
PUSH

---------------------------

2DVD set eh? Very weird! No reason why this couldn't fit on one DVD. And haven't heard anything about this being released here in the states.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I purchased this last year after Global promoted the concert on TV. I totally forgot about it until I saw this web page again. I emailed about them why I haven't received it yet and they said that it's been pushed back. They also said that they will be sending me a free Matchbox Twenty CD Album along with the DVD to compensate for the delay :D .

CraigL

Screenwriter
Some new info courtesy of digitalbits...

Rounder will release a live 2DVD set for Matchbox 20 called Show: a Night in the Life of Matchbox 20. There will be 2 forms, an edited version and the regular release. These DVDs are scheduled for May 25.

This set will be 2DVD and will run approximately 220 minutes. That's around 3 1/2 hours of video time.
There are 20 songs including the current "Bright Lights." Hits and favourites galore.
Filmed in High Definition using 17 cameras.
Bonus features include - 50-minute documentary; a 'behind the scenes' photo gallery; 2 songs in multi-angle viewing format.
This set is 16x9 Anamorphic.
Audio options are DD Stereo, DD 5.1 Surround, DTS 5.1 Surround, and SRS Circle Surround 5.1.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Well, I received the DVD today. It's a 2-disc set and comes in a digipak (like Almost Famous Bootleg Ed. with no cover slip). Strangely, there's no indication of whether it's the Edited or Unedited version. I emailed the company that I bought it from and they say there's only 1 version available. Matchbox Twenty's website also only lists 1 unedited version. Does anyone have information on how to differentiate the two.

EDIT: Damn it, I just checked amazon.com and there you can tell the two versions apart by that "Parental Advisory" sign on the bottom left of the dvd...argh...

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Ok, so I got everything straightened out. After numerous emails to various studios, I finally found out that my copy is NOT censored.

In Canada, there is only 1 version available (uncensored). Only in the US are there 2 versions (clean vs. explicit)...the only difference is 4 occurences of the F word being said.

Hope this helps fellow Canadians out there :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Dang you got yours quick! Isn't it supposed to be released on the 25th?

If you get a chance (and are so inclined), Tom, please type up a quick mini-review (or even a long in-depth review if you're feeling creative!). Let us know how the pic and sound quality is, especially in reference to other concert DVDs you own.

Thanks!

CraigL

Screenwriter
If anyone is interested...

This is being shown on the big screen in selected cities/theaters the day before it is released. You might want to check it out. I know I am. :)

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ I ordered mine through a TV promotion and they promised to give it to us last December but it got delayed, so I guess they felt guilty and decided to give it to us first (along with a free booklet and a CD).

As for the review, I'm no expert, but I'll see what I can do. Probably won't be for a week though. I have a final exam in 6 hours!!! :frowning: and more later this week... :thumbsdown:

Maybe by the end of the week. I'll try my best. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Tom, no hurry since the rest of us have until May 25 to decide! :D

Good luck on your final!

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Show - A Night in the Life of Matchbox Twenty

First of all, I just realized that the place I bought this from is the same site that CraigL posted above. Hence, mine is the Canadian version. As posted above, there will be two versions available in the US ("Explicit" and "Clean"). The difference will be a few utterences of the F word and the S word. The Canadian version is uncensored :D :emoji_thumbsup: .

Packaging:
My copy came in a three-fold digipak like that of Almost Famous (no slipcover). It also comes with a 20 page booklet (in colour). The following are the cover arts for US explicit and clean version:

The Canadian version I have does not have the parental advistory logo on the bottom left and the title "Show - A Night in the Life of Matchbox Twenty" is not written inside the red square.

Strangely, the Matchbox Twenty website also posted this shot which shows it in keepcase...so I'm a little confused now...

Anyways, back to the disc...

Disc 1
Menu:
The menu is simple, and is easy to navigate. Upon insertion of the disc, you're greeted with 3 choices: play concert, choose individual songs, and setup. In setup, you're given two options Stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1. Strangely, the Matchbox Twenty website, Amazon.com as well as the site that I ordered from all claim to have a DTS track (and SRS Circle Surround 5.1...hmm...). My disc only has DD5.1 so I'm wondering if it's because mine's the Canadian version. I've sent an email to the company to ask, but it's probably some last minute changes. I highly doubt they'd remove the DTS track just for Canada.

Content:
- The Concert (contains the following songs)
1. Cold
2. Real World
3. All I Need
4. Soul
5. Disease
6. Could I Be You
7. 3 AM
8. Mad Season
9. Feel
10. Hand Me Down
11. If You're Gone
12. Bright Lights
13. Bent
14. Unwell
15. Back 2 Good
16. Downfall
17. You're So Real
18. So Sad So Lonely
19. Long Day
20. Push

- Run Time: 1 Hour and 36 Minutes

Video:
Filmed in High-Definition, the concert is presented in 1.85 anamorphic widescreen. It looks gorgeous! The picture is consistently sharp throughout. The detail is amazing and is almost HD like. It's the best looking concert disc I currently have, and better than most of my other dvds. I can't see any edge enhancement but then I don't have a big TV so I'm not a reliable source for that. Colour reproduction is pretty accurate too.

Audio:
Again, it's presented in Dolby Digital 5.1. The use of surround is very enveloping making you feel like you're in the concert. The music is front heavy, although there are ocassional use of the surround for instrumental sounds. Mostly, it's for audience and crowd noise, and creates a nice sense of space. The bass is pretty good, but I'm no expert in that domain. Vocal is good, but I think it could have been better. I had to turn up the centre speaker a little, and sometimes it feels like his voice is drowned out by the instruments and the crowd. However, it's still much better than many of my concert discs. The instrumentals, however, are crystal clear.

Disc 2
- Extra Features:

Picture Gallery
- This includes 31 black and white pictures of the concert and the pre-concert preparation.

Lyrics
- Lyrics are available for all 20 songs.
- They are scrolling lyrics (as opposed to static I guess...)

Multi-Angles for "Soul" and "Bright Lights"
- These two songs are presented in stereo.
- The video is anamorphic widescreen.
- Total of 6 angles: One being the concert angle that switches between people while the other 5 focuses on the 5 band members.

Documentary
- The documentary is titled "Tour! Matchbox Twenty"
- The documentary is shown in 1.85 NON-anamorphic.
- The actual documentary itself is 38 minutes long.
- However, if you wait after the credits roll, additional between the scenes footage will be come up...which makes it a total of 50 minutes long.

That's all for now...I guess I'll let you guys know if I hear back from the studio about the "missing" DTS track...

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

My bad...I just read #15, which wasn't clear.

I saw M20 in Denver about four years ago and even though they are not one of my favorite groups (I only knew "the hits"), I am gonna get this one! The show was phenomenal. Hope the DVD can capture 1/10th of the excitement of the show I saw.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just got finally got around to watching the entire concert this evening. When I first bought it, I popped it in and watched a few of the tracks. But seeing the concert in it's entirety was really special and terrifically entertaining.

The Atlanta crowd was really into it. Wow. MB Twenty owned this crowd.

Fantastic audio for a live concert. Did think that the bass could've used a boost or 2, but that's just being picky. I turned my surround speakers down a notch from normal movie listening, thinking the crowd noise and music at times was too much in those channels.

My dvd also only listed a Dolby Digital 5.1 track and a Stereo track. No Circle Surround 5.1 or dts mix.

Those of you who are Matchbox Twenty fans need this gem in your collection.

Big :emoji_thumbsup: :)

Jeramy_K

Stunt Coordinator
I've watched it 3 times now since I picked it up back in June. And I've caught the HD version on HDNet which is identical except for a few different camera shots. Really good show IMO. I've seen them live 3 times now and can't wait for the next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks