What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Archie Mayo’s A Night in Casablanca certainly won’t rank alongside Duck Soup, Horse Feathers, or A Night at the Opera, but any occasion to spend time with the Marx Brothers is time well spent.

A Night in Casablanca (1946)

Released: 12 Oct 1946
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 85 min

Director: Archie Mayo
Genre: Comedy

Cast: Groucho Marx, Harpo Marx, Chico Marx, Charles Drake
Writer(s): Joseph Fields (original screenplay), Roland Kibbee (original screenplay)

Plot: The Marx Brothers are employed at a hotel in postwar Casablanca, where a ring of Nazis is trying to recover a cache of stolen treasure.

IMDB rating: 7.0
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Other
Distributed By: ClassicFlix
Video...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I like the film and the Brothers did finance the movie themselves. The good news is that after sitting in some mail bin at the Post Office for over a week it's on it's way and will get it soon.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had it in my head that it wasn't really very funny, so you can imagine how surprised I was as I found myself laughing pretty continuously throughout my viewing.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This is one of, if not the, the first Marx Brother's films I ever saw (I was around 8 or 9) and it made me a huge fan. The scene where Harpo's leaning against a building and is asked "What do you think you're doing? Holding the wall up?" was one of my favorite bits as a kid (still is).

I have no idea when my copy is scheduled for delivery - but it'll get here. I'll likely watch it the day it arrives. :)

Reactions: PMF

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I like the film and the Brothers did finance the movie themselves. The good news is that after sitting in some mail bin at the Post Office for over a week it's on it's way and will get it soon.

I ordered some DVDs at Thanksgiving, they arrived via the USPS yesterday. I got an email from Netflix apologizing for late deliveries due to the USPS, that's a first. I have another Thanksgiving order I'm still waiting for the USPS to deliver! I can imagine there are mountains of parcels at the major sorting centers. Don't worry they'll have them cleared in a month or two.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I ordered some DVDs at Thanksgiving, they arrived via the USPS yesterday. I got an email from Netflix apologizing for late deliveries due to the USPS, that's a first. I have another Thanksgiving order I'm still waiting for the USPS to deliver! I can imagine there are mountains of parcels at the major sorting centers. Don't worry they'll have them cleared in a month or two.
I think after Christmas and more folks getting the virus shot i hope the Post Office will get back to it's normal deliveries. Also Media Mail has the lowest priority in mail delivery so that explains the delays in some of my discs.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Unless it's been pointed out already, "Who's Sorry Now" was composed and published in 1923, and not introduced in this movie.

wranim8

Grip
Real Name
Baby Schnook
Still have a Super 8 film copy of this pic which I watched many times. Back in the day. Pretty funny, even with some aging out by the bros, but much better than Love Happy,

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’ve never seen this one but have been buying and watching many of the Marx bros films this year.
I’ll keep an eye out for this one to pick up.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Received my copy yesterday and a nice upgrade to my TCM 4 film dvd flipper set. I wished the new release had a commentary on it but i won't complain too much.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Mine shipped today. I realized Classicflix offered it on their site for the same price as Amazon so I cancelled my Amazon order to give Classicflix the full benefit of the order and added the Streamliners Collection V4 DVD, Merrily We Live BR, and The Michael Shayne Mysteries DVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched my BD today and found the movie pretty funny. When I was a kid, I was never a big Marx Brothers fan, but came to appreciate them more as an adult. IMO, this movie is their best one late in their career in which the three oldest brothers appeared together.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks