What's new

Pre-Order A Night At The Opera (Warner Archive) (1935) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Excellent news! Day one purchase for me. Hope A Day at the Races is around the bend.

If the PC squad has anything to do with it, this might be a problematic title. The sequences featuring black actors have strong racial/stereotypical overtones. I am certainly not suggesting the film not be brought out, as my anti-censorship posts regarding Disney have many times been posted here, but that someone currently heading up the WAC might find it too controversial for a contemporary release.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Ron,

FYI, there aren't any iTunes/Vudu HD digitals that are derived from the same source as WA Blu-rays. It's one of the things many of us have been complaining about for a while now. The only place you can see such HD digitals is on HBO Max and their appearance on that streaming service has been curtailed over the last several months.
I'm very they have been curtailed. A very bad decision.

mskaye

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I was thinking the same when I saw the link. I referring to the print found in recent years in Hungary that may have been longer. I have not heard anything for a long time.
I listen to a Marx Bros. podcast pretty regularly and that uncut print reportedly viewed in Hungary has still not been seen by anyone else or even verified to exist by the archive. I feel that the found footage would be "news" (like it was for Lang's METROPOLIS) and this standard issue WA blu ray is hitting the market with the same fanfare as EACH DAWN I DIE (which I actually like better as cinema.)

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I listen to a Marx Bros. podcast pretty regularly and that uncut print reportedly viewed in Hungary has still not been seen by anyone else or even verified to exist by the archive. I feel that the found footage would be "news" (like it was for Lang's METROPOLIS) and this standard issue WA blu ray is hitting the market with the same fanfare as EACH DAWN I DIE (which I actually like better as cinema.)
What is the name of the Marx Brothers podcast you follow, Michael. Thank you

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Borrowed this from the library to watch…

Attachments

• CA083832-6E42-46FC-AE90-0D598ABF48C5.jpeg
    CA083832-6E42-46FC-AE90-0D598ABF48C5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Arts patron Mrs. Claypool (Margaret Dumont) intends to pay pompous opera star Lassparri $1,000 per performance. Hey, maybe that’s why they call it grand opera! This is grand comedy. Groucho, Chico and Harpo Marx cram a ship’s stateroom and more with wall-to-wall gags, one-liners, musical riffs and two hard-boiled eggs – all while skewering Lassparri’s schemes and helping two young hopefuls (Kitty Carlisle and Allan Jones) get a break. To save the opera, our heroes must first destroy it. They must also gain ocean passage as stowaways, pull the wool (if not the beards) over the eyes of city hall, shred legal mumbo-jumbo down to a sanity clause, pester dowager Claypool and unleash so much glee that many say this may be the very best Marx Brothers rare movie appearances. Seeing is believing.

B&W. 16x9 1.37:1. WITH SIDE MATTES SPECIAL FEATURES: Commentary by Leonard Maltin • Documentary Remarks on Marx • Groucho Marx on The Hy Gardner Show (1961 Broadcast) • 2 Vintage M-G-M Shorts: Sunday Night at the Trocadero and Robert Benchley’s Academy Award®-Winning** How to Sleep • Theatrical Trailer (HD)
“Academy Award®” is the registered trademark and service mark of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. **1935: Short Subject (Comedy).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess the trailer doesn’t exist?
What missing trailer are you talking about???

"B&W. 16x9 1.37:1. WITH SIDE MATTES SPECIAL FEATURES: Commentary by Leonard Maltin • Documentary Remarks on Marx • Groucho Marx on The Hy Gardner Show (1961 Broadcast) • 2 Vintage M-G-M Shorts: Sunday Night at the Trocadero and Robert Benchley’s Academy Award®-Winning** How to SleepTheatrical Trailer (HD)
“Academy Award®” is the registered trademark and service mark of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. **1935: Short Subject (Comedy)."

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

"B&W. 16x9 1.37:1. WITH SIDE MATTES SPECIAL FEATURES: Commentary by Leonard Maltin • Documentary Remarks on Marx • Groucho Marx on The Hy Gardner Show (1961 Broadcast) • 2 Vintage M-G-M Shorts: Sunday Night at the Trocadero and Robert Benchley’s Academy Award®-Winning** How to SleepTheatrical Trailer (HD)
“Academy Award®” is the registered trademark and service mark of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. **1935: Short Subject (Comedy)."
... but there's still no Sanity Clause ;)!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren

Oops! Sorry, I totally missed that. I’m embarrassed. Thanks, Robert.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Website High-Def Digest has a positive review on the image quality of the Blu-ray. And they do say there is a new extra on the Blu-ray "Los Angeles: Wonder City of the West" (SD 8:32).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I don't have the Blu-ray yet, but I took the DVD off the shelf tonight and listened to Maltin's commentary for the first time. In the past, I have not been the biggest fan of his commentaries which were often delivered off the cuff with seemingly little preparation, but this is an exception: it's factual, knowledgeable, and interesting throughout and delivered most professionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks