What's new

"A Night At The Opera" DVD-A pushed back?? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, how did you get the Queen DVD-Audio disc from CDNOW already? They don't list it on their web site (I went here). Also, Digital Eyes still says that the Queen disc won't be out until April 30th? :confused:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

Thanks for the link. I expected the Queen disc to be listed with all the other DVD-Audio discs. Note that your CDNOW link says, "Expected Release Date: April 30, 2002". $17.49 is a great price, however, so I am going to order it from CDNOW. We'll see when I get it.

Craig,

Good point.

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
The link you provide to CD Now also says that it won't be available till Apr 30th. Me Thinks something fishy going on here!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Well, I ordered the Queen disc from CDNOW. They really get you on shipping, as I paid $3.99 for shipment of a single disc. Oh well. The main point is that CDNOW says that this is an "advance order item" and says that it will be available tentatively on April 30th. We shall see.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I have the ICBM in my system along with a Panasonic RP91 and a Denon 3300.
When I started to listen to the disc I first tried the DTS tracks and they sounded great. My wife concurred.
Then I tried the DVDA tracks and they sounded underwhelming compared to the DTS.
My system works fine with my other DVDA discs so I am puzzled why this one doesn't sound better.
At first I was thinking that since this is a DTS product, they made the DTS tracks stand out.
We won't really know til more people aquire this disc.
I apparently got lucky with CDNow. I pre-ordered this disc back in October because CDNow offered a great price and I had a coupon which took care of the shipping fee.
I was shocked when CDNow sent me an email stating the title was shipping so early. But it did and its here in my possesion. I would imagine the B&M stores won't have til the 30th if then.
But believe me this is a title worth searching the Earth for. Its another great Surround Title. Strange that its a DTS product with DVDA, but as I have said, the DTS tracks are to die for. Very impressive. My SVS sub was rocking! My wife thought the neighbors might call the cops.
Hope this answers some of your questions.
JohnG:)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
BTW Keith, thats some impressive freakin equipment you have there! You know your stuff.

I know you will really dig this new DVDA! Good luck finding one.

JohnG

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
At first I was thinking that since this is a DTS product, they made the DTS tracks stand out.
I wouldn't put it past them. IMHO DTS has gotten very sleazy in their marketing of DTS vs. DVD-A. I've seen press releases from them that implied DTS was the same thing as DVD-A. In others, that it was just as good. Plus their packaging is very misleading. I think I will just boycott them.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I wouldn't put it past them. IMHO DTS has gotten very sleazy in their marketing of DTS vs. DVD-A. I've seen press releases from them that implied DTS was the same thing as DVD-A. In others, that it was just as good. Plus their packaging is very misleading. I think I will just boycott them.
I have to say that is what I thought when I compared the two versions on the disc.

After listening to the disc via DTS I was very impressed.

My wife sat in shock!

So then I said to her here goes the DVD-Audio version, sit back and enjoy. But even after the first song I was up looking at my Reciever and my DVD-A player to see if I had hit the wrong button. It just didn't sound as filling as the DTS version. And I have Bass Management (it was turned on).

So my first thoughts were, those rat bastards tweaked up the DTS version over the DVDA version to make a point.

Once everyone has a copy of this disc we will see if others hear what I hear.

Maybe I just need to blast the DVDA version.

I'll try again later (I have small kids over this weekend and I don't want to scare them with this stuff, it can be that powerful).

Fustrating that no one will be able to get this disc til next week. Now I am curious on what your thoughts will be when you hear this disc.

JohnG

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, thanks for compliment. I appreciate your comments regarding the Queen DVD-Audio disc. I am mainly a stereo fan, so I am really eager to compare the stereo DVD-Audio track to my DCC and MFSL gold CDs of A Night at the Opera. However, I will be curious to hear the DTS and DVD-Audio surround-sound tracks. If DTS is indeed pulling a fast one on consumers with regards to the quality of the DVD-Audio track, shame on them. In any event, I pre-ordered the DVD-Audio disc from CDNOW and will post my thoughts as soon as possible.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Good info., Steve. I pre-ordered a copy from CDNOW earlier in the week, and their web site still says it is expected to be released on April 30th. So my copy hasn't shipped. I wouldn't have thought that some e-tailers would get it early.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I am very curious to see what everyone else thinks about this release.

BTW, the DVD-Audio tracks do need to be turned up louder than the DTS tracks to match the levels.

At -10 on my Denon 3300, the DVD-Audio tracks do sound improved. When I switch to DTS I need to go back to -18 for instance.

I still stand by my statement that the DTS tracks are more fun to listen to though.

JohnG

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I just checked CDNOW's web site to check the status of my order for the Queen DVD-Audio disc. Instead of saying that the disc is expected in on April 30th, they are saying that it is on backorder. More specifically, here is what the web site says:
Our warehouse manager is working with the manufacturer and our suppliers to obtain this item for you. An order for an out of stock item usually takes 2 to 4 weeks to receive in stock; however, it can take longer depending on the availability of the item.
Great. :rolleyes: Maybe I should cancel the order and order it from Digital Eyes.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I did it. I cancelled my order through CDNOW and placed an order through Digital Eyes. Digital Eyes claims to have the disc in stock, so hopefully I'll get it this week.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I scored one at a BB $19.99(their only copy!!) and added a Moody Blues Seventh Sojourn-dts.

I'll report back after I sample em'

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks