What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Sam Wood’s A Night at the Opera finds the Marx Brothers at the pinnacle of their movie career in a wildly entertaining Marxian farce sprinkled with popular and classical singing, a bit of romance, and a lavish production introducing them to a new world at MGM.

A Night at the Opera (1935)

Released: 15 Nov 1935
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 96 min

Director: Sam Wood, Edmund Goulding
Genre: Comedy, Music, Musical

Cast: Groucho Marx, Chico Marx, Harpo Marx
Writer(s): George S. Kaufman, Morrie Ryskind, James Kevin McGuinness

Plot: A sly business manager and two wacky friends of two opera singers help them achieve success while humiliating their stuffy and snobbish enemies.

IMDB rating: 7.9
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio:...

Continue reading...

Santee7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
kirk
more great news, a beautiful transfer of a film that for years I had to stay up till midnight to watch on a 19 inch snow screen with ktel commercials every six minutes. Will def be grabbing this one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Matt, thanks for the review. RAH only gave it a 3.5 image grade, but I suspect that most of us will concur with your video grade. Anywhere from 4.5-5.0. Is that Maltin audio commentary new? Edit: Oops, I forgot about the Maltin commentary on the 2004 DVD.

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
Singers who could actually do justice to Trovatore wouldn't be caught dead in a Marx Brothers movie making fun of it. Especially in the 30s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brando1313
Recent bookmarks