A newbie's pre Amp/Processor question...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by shivesh_k, Aug 26, 2004.

1. shivesh_k

shivesh_k Auditioning

Jul 30, 2004
    I was just checking out some separte combos and was astonished that all most all of the pre amp/processor costs more than a full blown a/v receivers e.g. Yamaha 2400/Denon 3805. Why is that ?
    I'm searching for a not too expensive solution to drive the power hungry 4 ohms Polk Lsi. Whats the down side of using a slightly lower model Denon as a preprocessor and feed it to a multichannel power amplifier ?
    Also I'd appreciate suggestions and comments on a 7 channel power amp for less than $1500.
  2. Frank joe

Frank joe Stunt Coordinator

May 28, 2002
    check out the outlaw . for the money you cant go wrong
  3. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Sep 9, 2002
    Getting an amp either way won't hurt. At the least.
    What is your total budget? You mentioned $1500, but was that just for the amp?

For around 2500, you can get into seperates. Here are some examples;

Sherwood Newcastle
    p965 and a965 can be had for less on the street providing you can find them. They are working on upgrade to the pre-pro meanning they are gonna support that product for a while. Heard great things about this piece.

Rotel 1068/1075 combo. Friend has the 1068, sounds great and has had a few software upgrades come out already.

Adcom, 860II and bunch of amps to choose from
    check this link out for a killer deal.
  4. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

Oct 14, 2003
    I have also heard some great things about the Sherwood Newcastle set.

The only downfall to the Rotel set is the amps at this time do not come with more than 5 channels. So you would have to buy a 2 channel amp and the 5 channel. This is not a problem for a lot of people but if you are limited on cabinet space it can be an issue.

The Outlaw set is wonderful for the money.

As far as using a receiver as a pre/pro vs a dedicated pre/pro, it's very common. I use a receiver as a pre/pro myself and I have been pretty happy thus far. The dedicated pre should offer a better overall sound, lower floor noise levels and a better upgrade path since you can usually keep your amp(s). I think for movie watching it would be harder to tell the difference between a receiver+amp and a pre/pro. The music side is what typically sets the pre/pros apart from the receivers. Receivers however seem to adopt newer technology faster than pre/pros, examples are the mic setup offered by Yamaha, Denon and Pioneer. I think the Sherwood Newcastle is suppose to add this technology to their P-985 pre/pro very quickly if it's not already done.