A newbie's HDTV Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Parker, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,
    I m a newbie to HDTV and I bought a daewoo 30" HDTV today, and I already have Daewoo DVG-5000N DVD player (interlaced), the problem I am having right now that when I connect my DVD player to TV by component connection picture is not right, I mean, it looks like that TV is not tuned or something.
    Anyone know why its happening? or I need a progressive scan DVD player for that TV.

P.S Component input on my TV says 1080i only.

Can someone please help me? It would be great.

TV Daewoo DSC-30W60N
    DVD Daewoo DVG-5000N

2. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Your trying to send a interlaced signal to a progressive only input , that's why it's distorted. Even though 1080i is interlaced, I guess it doesn't matter since it's such a high resolution, this part is a mystery to me. But I definitely know your dvd player sending it's 480i signal to that input will not work.

On my tv, I have a 480p input for dvd and a 720p/1080i input for HD only but it will take the 480p signal my dvd player sends, maybe yours will too if your dvd player was progressive.

3. Kevin Parker

thats not a good news [​IMG] so it means I will have to buy a new dvd player. yeah I think I can switch between 1080i and 480p, but its not accepting 480i for sure.

4. Kevin Parker

anyone else has any idea why its happenin??
    Please....

5. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I'm not sure what more you're looking for... LaMarcus' answer is correct. Your component inputs will not accept 480i. You'll have to go S-Video or Composite.

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Kevin,
    If the component input on the tv is labelled 1080i only, then it will only work with a 1080i signal from an HD tuner. It will not work with any dvd player currently on the market, interlaced or progressive, as they output 480i and 480p respectively.

If this is the only set of component video terminals on the set, you will have to use either S-video or composite, neither of which will carry 480p, only 480i.

7. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Well my set takes it, I don't know if it says 1080i only, but it does say HD INPUT 720/1080i. And it still takes the 480p from my dvd player, in fact I have my Xbox using that input and I know it's only 480p.

8. Kevin Parker

yeah thanx guys I confirmed with daewoo it will take 480p but not 480i, so I will have to buy a new DVD player. and thank you very much for your input guys.