A Newbie With An HD TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ike, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

While setting up a game room, my friend decided to buy a big screen. It was down to a Sony 60", and I said he should go for it. The clerk said since he was fixing to lay over $1000 on it, that he should just go for HDTV.

So he called me, thinking I was knowledgable on such items. I informed him that it wasn't worth it-we weren't subscribed to High Definition television services, and I equated size with better.

But when he got home, he unveiled a 53" HD Hitachi. After looking it over, I decided it was a pretty good budget big screen.

My question is, we are completely HD newbies. Do I have to have an extra box to get HD programming? Are normal shows broadcast in HD? To hook up, say, an X-Box in hi-def, will I need anything other than the HD Pack?

Also, I see numbers tossed around-480i, 480p, 1080-he said the clerk told him it was 1080. What exactly does this mean?

Since I've got it hooked up in the unfurnished game room, which as of yet hasn't got cable, I've not seen a broadcast signal on it. But I did try out a PS2, Dreamcast, N64, and a DVD via the PS2, and I thought the image quality was pretty good, especially since I was sitting so close.

I know this may seem stupid, but I'd never given HD much thought. Thanks for the time.

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hi Ike, where have you been for all of your 2700 posts? Regardless, here is what you, or your friend, has to do:
    first, go here atStep 1 and see if you can even receive HDTV signals. Next, decide if he wants to spend that kind of money to get those local OTA HDTV signals?
    Finally, in the meantime, be very careful with the PS2 or Xbox games. If they maintain a common border, intrument panel or framing for more than a few hours at a time, they can permanently fix that image on your screen and ruin his new TV. Be Carefull with fixed screen images especially during the first couple of months or so of use.

3. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Really, HDTV network isn't all that important. When he went to buy it, the clerk led him to believe that some normal, plain jane network broadcasts were in HD-he said they demoed it using the local news, and PBS, and he said that they both looked fantastic.

And I really don't play video games for more than two hours without changing the screen at least once.

I think the main use of the HD capabilities will be for the X-Box. Does DVD benefit in any form from the HD? Does composite really make a difference-other than I think it can do the "aspect ratio squeeze trick" with composite-over S-video?

And just so I don't have to start another thread, is Monster Cable's X-Box HD Pack better than MS? I've heard some say that MS's doesn't include all the cables, and is much noiser?

Sorry to ask so many questions in such a short amount of time, but any help is appreciated.