What's new

A newbie question: what does pre-outs mean and what is so important about it? (1 Viewer)

Tony Yang

Auditioning
I am currently looking at two receivers: denon avr-1602 and onkyo TXDS494. It says onkyo one does not have pre-out. Is that right?

AbelM

Second Unit
Tony:

Yeah I don't think the 494 has pre-outs, but the 595 does, I think. The pre-outs (which I just learned from here the other day) are simply used to connect your receiver with an amp.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
The pre-outs on a receiver allow it to be used as a processor in conjunction with separate amplification. You'll find many people that start with a receiver and decide to move to separates (dedicated processor/controller and amplifiers), and some prefer to add amplification but don't want to purchase a separate processor.

Hope this helps!

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
the 595 does NOT have pre-outs btw. i own one and that's one of the few things i'm really missing.

Tony- the Denon is far superior to the 494. go with the 1602.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Tony:

Just to elaborate a bit on what everyone Scott said:

In a receiver, the flow of informtion is (1) processor, (2) pre-amp, and (3)amplifier, in that order. (Note that in the case of music only, you could bypass the processor if you used the DACs in your CD player. In this case, an analogue signal, rather than digital, would enter the receiver and go directly to the pre-amp.) The "pre-outs" on the receiver allow you to send the information from the pre-amp to an EXTERNAL amp, thereby bypassing the amplifier inside the receiver. In this case, you are using the receiver as a preamp-processor.

Hope that helps.

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks