A Newbie question about subwoofers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mark E J, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

I recently bought a Yamaha HT in a box and am considering upgrading my sub. I have $300 to spend and want to get a real room shaker. What do you guys recomend? Also what specs should I look for in a sub that will really make you feel the LFE?

I am currently looking at a Yamaha 270 watt powerd subwoofer with a 10" driver and these specs:

Continuously variable high-pass filter (40-140Hz, -24dB/octave slope)

Phase-reverse switch and volume control let you achieve optimal results with your system and acoustics

Bass Action Selector System (BASS) optimizes output for music or movies at the touch of a switch

Line- and speaker-level inputs, for use with or without a dedicated subwoofer preamp output

Magnetically shielded to prevent picture distortion when used in home theater applications

Signal-sensing circuit turns the sub on when signal is present, off when signal is absent

Frequency response: 20-160Hz (-10dB)

Is this any good?

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

After hearing a Yamaha sub I was less than impressed even compared to other cheapo subwoofers.

Myself, I'd save up another $300 and get one of the smaller SVS PC+ models. That's a purchase you won't regret. The others below that price range are regretable purchases.

3. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

The Adire Rava and the Hsu STF-2 are $400.

4. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

the STF-2 sounded pretty decent to me when I heard it - tight and deep. Not an SVS killer by any means but better than the other subs in that price range that were displayed.

5. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Also, look for a BIC 1215 or 1220(previous model) on the web. It is spec.ed to 23hz and you should be able to find it in your price range. Link.

6. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

A used Rava or VTF-2 should fit within your price range. If you have something other than your primary receiver to power it with, a used SVS CS model sub should work wonderfully as well.

7. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

The HSu STF-2 is back down to $349-359 at CompUsa.