What's new

A Newbie question about speakers (1 Viewer)

gorylewis

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Lewis
Hi Everyone.

Here is my current setup:

Receiver-Harmon Kardon AVR 354

Fronts-JBL ES80 X2

Center-JBL ES25C X1

Surrounds-JBL ES20 X2

Sub-Polk Audio PSW10

I was wondering what my speakers should be set to, like "small" or large"? Should they all be set to "small"? Also what should the crossover setting be for the sub? and do I set the crossover at the sub or receiver or both?

Thanks for any input

Greg

gorylewis

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Lewis
Hey Phil, Should I set the crossover on the sub to 80 as well? Or where should I set the dial on the sub?

Thanks for the input

Greg

gorylewis

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Lewis
My AVR doesn't allow me to select small as a choice for any speaker. It's either "Large" or a crossover setting starting at 40,60,80,100,120,150,200.

Any Suggestions?

Also the frequency response for the fronts is:45Hz-40kHz

Surrounds:60Hz-40kHz

Center:80Hz-40kHz

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'd select 80 for the fronts and 100 for the center and surrounds based on those specs.

Set the crossover on the back of the sub to it's highest setting.

gorylewis

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Lewis
ok thanks Gene, I'll give that a try...

The highest setting on the sub I believe is 150Hz, but shouldn't it be set on 80Hz...

Greg

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
No, Greg. The sub should be set to the best setting allowing *all* frequencies sent to it to be processed.

Thus, in this case, it's high-cut-off frequency should be set higher than the turn-around frequencies of the receiver.

Good luck with your system!

Cees

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The only time you need or use the sub's crossover is when you're sending a speaker connection to the sub. (Usually because the receier doesn't have a dedicated sub connection, and you send the both the Left and Right to the sub, which then send it on to the L/R speakers.) If you're using the receiver's LFE connection then the receiver is doing all the crossover work, and the sub's crossover should be set to 'off', or as high as you can set it; 200 in your case.

Also, although 80 Hz is the usual suggested crossover, depending on your speakers you may get better sound a little above or below this. So start at 80 and then try at least 60 & 100; and maybe even 120. Use what you like best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks