A newbie interested in multi-region DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by EricSchulz, Jan 14, 2004.

1. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I am new to the HTF (AWESOME website everyone!). While I understand the basic concept of regional discs, PAL, etc., I am looking for a website that would serve as a good tutorial for getting into watching DVDs from other regions. I am interested in getting started with no real knowledge of the details of this stuff. Looking for good FAQ's (do I need a special TV? are conversion kits OK? what will or will not work? etc.) CAN ANYONE HELP ME!?!?!

2. andrew markworthy

Eric, which region are you in? This will rather determine recommendations.

3. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

oops! I guess that WOULD be helpful! Region 1 (USA)

4. andrew markworthy

Not sure that I'm going to be that much help, as I'm R2. However, the following may be of use:

(1) if you type in 'region' as a search term for this forum, you should find a load of posts relating to aspects of your question.

(2) a good site comparing the relative virtues of the different regional releases is http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/

(3) it is highly unlikely that you will have a set-up that will enable you to play anything other than R1 without modifications (and regarding these, a fellow American will be far better placed to advise on details). It's a bizarre quirk that most modern Brit TV sets are capable of playing NTSC as well as PAL and most of our DVD players can be easily hacked or chipped to play all regions (oh yes, and widescreen is rapidly becoming the norm for Brit TV sets). However, it isn't as easy to do it the other way round. Sorry!

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I bought the Pioneer 363k and couldnt be happier.

DTS,plays JPGs,no complaints with PAL(a did notice a slight sppedup of fast moving objects in a Region 2 DVD I watched the otehr day - noticed but its in no way distracting),it has a memory so it will continue a disc where it ended last time it was in the player.

Heres a link.... http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/pioneer363.htm

6. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

Check out HKflix.com. They sell discs from all over, as well as multi-region players. They have a decent FAQ on regions and how multi-region players work.

7. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

How about the excellent and inexpensive Philips 727 for only $75 from Amazon.com. It can be made region free with the Remote and does excellent PAL to NTSC conversion.

Don forget to check out the HTF sponsor NicheFlix.com multi-region Movie rentals.

8. JonSpice

JonSpice Stunt Coordinator

JVC XV500