A Newb once again with the 3802 remote...take a look

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ben hunt, Jul 10, 2002.

1. ben hunt

ben hunt Stunt Coordinator

Ok I finally got my 3802 today...hooked it up to my axiom m60 mains. Listened to a couple records (yep vinyl), played a cd, hooked up my direct tv to it and watched some tube...etc.

Then I decided to actually set the sucker up. I had previously just taken it out of the box, read through the manual etc, hook everything up and pushed a few buttons.

Now when I go to set it up I hit the "setup" button on the remote...it theoretically should give me a list of options to tweak/turn on/mess with.

The only thing that changes is on the remote led is says
    AVR SETUP (only for as long as I hold the button)
    under it shows me a symbol that looks like this
    0))) .

I push the up/down button, the left right button etc and no menus come up.

Basically I don't know how the hell to get in to the setup screen. I've read the manual and it says push the setup button but I don't get any display that looks like anything they have in the book.

Thanks for reading...btw the m60's sound pretty damn nice with the 3802. I do have a slight hiss in my tweeters (both sides and only when I turn it up and the music is quiet) but I am attributing that to not having set up the receiver.

2. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

do you have the 3802 hooked up to a TV and if so, how?

3. ben hunt

I'll give myself a big DOH'...the only connection i have between the tv and the 3802 is the audio...

I'll check that out.

4. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Also I believe you need to push down the Receiver button until the display reads AMP.

5. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I also believe the video connection must be either composite or s-video. The set-up menu will not be displayed via component video.

6. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

The connection can be component, composite or S-video. The only rule I see is that it has to be an output from the 3802. I chose to not run the TV signal to the reciever and then back (my old school training - more cogs offer more opportunity for cog failure), so I set up from either my RCA out (VCR1) or S-video out (DVD,DBS). I believe (this is not in front of me to test right now) you also do not have to have the reciever actively switched (meaning that the AMP output does not have to set to the component to use the setup screen).

I can do this because the composite out to monitor is set to a separate input on my set, as is the S-video. I simply chose the input source on my TV to get to a place where I can display set up. The problem - You cannot be auditioning the TV if you are making changes to the settings for TV because the input choice directs the TV output. I do have to do stuff to TV from the front panel if I want to be auditioning the changes real time.

Hey - isn't that Denon maual a gem? It would be nice if English was a first language for the authors.

7. ricky ho

ricky ho Stunt Coordinator

according to the the denon avr-3802 manual:
    "the on-screen display signals are not output from the color difference (component) video signal (monitor out) jacks."
    my tv has multi video in connections. i run a component cable from my dvd player direct to the tv. i also run a s-video cable from the receiver to the tv for osd.

8. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

Ben, I don't use my 3802 for video switching, so I just ran a composite cable from the "monitor out" of the 3802 to a spare input on my TV. I just use that TV input for receiver setup.

9. ben hunt

Hey thanks for the help guys...

Actually I'm at work right now and I'm thinking about how I have everything set up and I made a real dumb mistake.

Laugh all you want...
    The only connections I have connected to the back of my tv are the satellite coax and the audio components (into the 3802)...

no wonder I can't see the online display, I don't have anything going from an OUT on the receiver to the TV or the satellite receiver. I'll check all this when I get home...

I won't always be a newbie...

10. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt

11. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Vlad,

The new Denon 5803 is the only Denon receiver that is capable of displaying OSD using component cables.

Ben,

Like everyone said just run a svideo cable from the back of the receiver to one of your inputs on your TV and then using the remote just press the SETUP button and your all set.

12. JeffMuller

JeffMuller Stunt Coordinator

By the way, if you don't want to use your receiver as a video switcher...

AND your TV has PIP, you can just run the Receiver monitor out into one of your TV's inputs. Then, just hit the PIP button whenever you want to tweak while watching.

13. peter a

peter a Stunt Coordinator

jeff-
    good tip.... i'll try that when my 3802 arrives on monday.
    thanks
    p

14. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Ben how are those M60s sounding with the 3802? Just ordered mine to go with my new m50's.

J