What's new

A new widescreen TV coming, what to play first? (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I need some recommendations...
I'm receiving delivery of a new 61" DLP television on Saturday and I need to get opinions on the best looking games to demo it for my wife.

I have PS2, GC, and XBox.

BTW, honestly...if I have a good de-interlacer on my TV, is a 480p connection really necessary for the GameCube? How about for the PS2? Do component cables make *that much* of a difference? I am currently using S-Video for both the GC and the PS2.

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Games with a 16:9 mode to show off the widescreen set:

PS2: Gran Turismo 3
GC: Eternal Darkness
XB: Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball

For more info, check out this thread called Reference Quality Games: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=153524 and this one called Official HD Support, 5.1 and 16:9 Game Survey: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=100055

Personally I have the Cube and the XBOX connected via component cables. Stepping up the Cube from the composite was a huge difference, so I can recommend that. I technically have never seen my XBOX hooked up to my TV without the HD pack and can't imagine not spending the $20 to do so. Your spending hundreds of dollars on systems and games, why skimp on the hookups? As for the PS2, I don't have enough component connections on my TV or reciever to handle it so it stays with S-Video. It has the poorest connection because it has the fewest progressive scan capable games.

Pieter

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
XBox is a must for component cabling, GC is highly reccommended. PS2 might as well go for it, but not nearly as big a deal as the XBox or GC.

Games to blow you away in 480p:

* Halo
* Panzer Dragoon Orta
* Resident Evil

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I can say that with my TV (Sony 32HS500) and component cables the gamecube picture looks considerably better running progressive than interlaced. Both are way better than composite but everything is a little cleaner when I have the gamecube outputting 480P.

Mark

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Thanks. I suppose that the only way to get the component GC cables is through Nintendo, right?

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
damn right, or ebay. (but ebay you'll pay more)

I just put my order in with Nintendo last night for some component cables.:tu
36.00 with express (2-3 day)shipping

Mike_Stuewe

Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't use this game if you were demoing the new TV for your wife.

Try World Series Baseball 2K3. Its 720p High Definition, so you best get some Component Cables.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup: for having a wife that let you spend that type of cash on a TV.

Even though the game sucks, Enter the Matrix sometimes looks good at 1080i. THPS4 runs in 720p also.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
One that has not been mentioned as of yet but is a real treat in 480p is Enclave for the Xbox. Good smooth framerate and great looks.(though some don't enjoy the difficulty which is understandable.)

Best part is the game can be had for about 19 bucks anymore.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Dead Or Alive 3. Seeing it on a a large HD widescreen is akin to a religious experience. The downside is that almost everything else pales in comparison.

-Dave

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I've never played it, but the Xbox version of "Dragon's Lair 3D" is in 1080i and is supposed to look fantastic on HD setups. Plus, the game can be found for under $20.00 just about everywhere. The most recent game that I've played that really floored me with graphics was "Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance" on the Xbox. I realize that it's a little old, but it was fantastic from both a technical and gameplay perspective.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
For the GameCube, you must pick up F-Zero GX when it is released in the next couple weeks. I imported the Japanese version of the game and it looks stunning in 480p 16:9 mode.

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chris, I'm in the same boat, I have a 57" HDTV coming in about 4 hours... I have the Xbox up there and ready, the Cube is coming up in a couple days when the Component cables arrive.

I can't wait, I'll fire up Halo first, then move on through the other dozen or so Xbox games. On Cube, I'll fire up Zelda and Starfox... can't wait to see them all.

Tom

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My GameCube is connected to my 36" HD Sony Wega. I didn't notice a big difference going from the composite connection to the component connection. But I sleep better at night knowing that I've got my component connection :)

On the GC, Rogue Leader is very nice looking (480p or otherwise). Pikmin is also a very attractive game.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
If you have critical eyes & a decent set you can see a noticeable difference in color definition in going from S-video to Component on the PS2.

I'd like to play F-Zero GX in 16:9 480p myself. This game alone is making me want to go out and upgrade my 32" wega.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
One that has not been mentioned as of yet but is a real treat in 480p is Enclave for the Xbox. Good smooth framerate and great looks.(though some don't enjoy the difficulty which is understandable.)
Got that right! Still one of the best looking Xbox games.

Kami

Screenwriter
SW: Knights of the Old Republic looks really, really damn good on my 50" Toshiba 50h82.

There are better looking games out there but for its sheer size the detail and quality is amazing. The lighting effects (too bad no real time light from the light sabers though :frowning: ) look amazing. The game is 480p but only 4:3...the good thing is that it stretches on my 16:9 set better than anything I have played. It doesn't look stretched at all to me. Then again, toshiba's are known for their stretching abilities so your mileage may vary.

Chris Duran

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to be a little off topic here, but none of you are afraid of burn in with your sets? I have a 16x9 Panny, and all the game systems, but they are all hooked up to my Aika 27 flat screen because I'm a little afraid of burn in on my set, though I would really love to play them, and I know I would be extra careful just a little worried. I know Chris probably doesn't have to worry much since his is DLP, but what about other peps?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks