A new virus....

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ed Moxley, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    I received this today in an e-mail, from a family member. I hope it's not true, but better safe , than sorry!

During the next several weeks be VERY cautious about opening or launching any e-mails that refer to the World Trade Center or 9/11 in any way, regardless of who sent it. PLEASE FORWARD TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY. FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW, "WTC" STANDS FOR THE WORLD TRADE CENTER. REALLY DANGEROUS BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL OPEN IT RIGHT AWAY, THINKING ITS A STORY RELATING TO 9/11!
    >
    >
    > BIGGGG TROUBLE !!!! DO NOT OPEN "WTC Survivor" It is a virus that will erase your whole "C" drive.. It will come to you in the form of an E-Mail from a familiar person. I repeat, a friend sent it to me, but called and warned me before I opened it. He was not so lucky and now he can't even start his computer!
    >
    > Forward this to everyone in your address book. I would rather receive this 25 times than not at all. So, if you receive an email called "WTC Survivor", do not open it. Delete it right away! This virus removes all dynamic link libraries (.dll files) from your computer.
    >
    >
    > PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE!

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    As a general rule, any e-mail that contains the words "FORWARD THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW" in ALL CAPS is crap. And passing it along does not make anyone "safer", it just clutters up the internet.

If there were realy a major virus threat like this (or major disease outbreak, dangerous consumer product or serious health risk) you'd be reading about it in the newspaper, hearing about it on radio and watching a story about it on television - not learning about it in an e-mail from your uncle Al's AOL account. [​IMG]

This particular hoax - word-for-word, down to the spelling of "BIGGGG" - has been wasting peoples' time and bandwidth since shortly after the World Trade Center attacks in 2001. So whoever sent this is almost four years late with a warning that was bogus to begin with.

Whenever you get one of these messages do yourself (and everyone in your address book) a favor and check it out at the invaluable Snopes Urban Legend Reference Page

I appreciate the impulse to be helpful but, really, there is so much of this noise out there, sometimes drowning out the real threat warnings, that it pays to check first and post only when you're sure.

(And, again, be skeptical of these things. Ask if it makes any sense that you'd be hearing about whatever it is via an e-mail from someone who doesn't know much about computers, isn't a doctor, isn't in the news biz, etc. Are there specific details as to time, place, date, people in a news story? Did whoever sent it to you provide a link to a legit news site? Does a Google search of keywords in the e-mail turn up any real news items that can be matched to the e-mail's account? If the answers are "No", hit the delete button. Especially if the e-mail tells you to "SEND THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!" [​IMG])

Regards,

Joe

3. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    I never have, and never will rush to Snopes, everytime I get an email. I'm sorry that it bothered you so much that I tried to save you and others here a possible nightmare and a lot of heartache. I promise I won't try to warn you............. ever again. [​IMG]

I'm glad it's not true, for obvious reasons. But, if it's a hoax........ so what? It did no harm at all (except wasted maybe one minute of your time........to read it) I figure it did more good than harm! It reminded me and others to be careful what you open in email.

I don't know that I believe everything that Snopes says. Why would someone start a hoax like this? It doesn't do any kind of harm at all. No one is asking for money. They don't even try to get you to visit a site somewhere. They are basically asking you to remind everyone you know, to be careful!. I understand how some sick-o's like to write and pass along virus'. They get a thrill of sorts from it. Where is the thrill to start a hoax like this? One that does absolutely no damage? Where's the thrill?

Again, I'm sorry it bothered you so bad. It won't happen again! [​IMG]

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i dont think it bothered him at all, in fact, his post was pretty accurate and sensible.

CJ

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

And yet you "rushed" to the HTF to post a warning about it instead.

6. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Ed, I understand your concern, and appreciate your wanting to pass along a warning.

However, I for one get dozens of these kinds of messages. Well-intentioned, by and large, but the problem lies in mailbox cluttering. This is not an issue at the consumer level (though they can get upset about it), it is an issue both about storage space for ISPs (and company servers) as well as sheer bandwidth usage. The latter is an issue mostly for those who do not have high-speed access, or a smaller pipeline.

An example: we have some folks at work who are streaming radio to their PCs. What has happened to several of us is that we cannot get to our email server, nor internet, nor major production software. While streaming radio is considerably larger than these kinds of emails, the emails still spend a lot of bandwidth and storage space.

Regards, Mike

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Now if only something could teach people to be careful about uncritcally believing what is in the e-mail that they do open, we'd really be making some progress.

Regards,

Joe

8. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron

Discipline time! They're wasting valuable company resources. We've had problems with IM streaming radio preventing everyone from doing any REAL work.

9. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

That message IS the very virus of which it "warns"!

It's a social virus, as opposed to a biological or technological one. The people who fall for it get to unwittingly play the part of a biological cell that churns out more copies of virus RNA.

10. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    If you don't trust Snopes then go to the Symantec website, the makers of Norton's Anti-Virus.
    They have a section on their site that lists all of the hoaxes.

Things to really be careful of with these emails, and the reason I check symantec EVERY TIME I get one of these warnings, is that they usually instruct you to go into your system and delete the offending file which of course turns out to be a file that you need to run windows. To the unsuspecting, this email has just saved your computer but in fact the hoaxer has just gotten you to do worse to your system then his virus ever could.

Joseph's post was not a personal attack on you Ed, but an informative one. You shouldn't have taken it to heart so much.
    Think of the grief that he has saved you in the future.

11. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"they usually instruct you to go into your system and delete the offending file"

Yep, what was is they had you delete? "if you find a little teddy bear, delete it, it's the virus", and it turned out to be a VERY important windows file.

Brent