A new type of spam

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin P, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

This is wild stuff. Spammers are now popping spam directly onto people's desktops:
    myNetWatchman article
    TechTV article
    Apparently users of NT, 2000, or XP without firewalls are being targeted to receive pop-up spam messages via the Messenger service. The messenger service is normally used to send pop-up messages to users (e.g. "The server is going down in 5 minutes, save your work") but thanks to this recently discovered vulnerability, spammers will scan ranges of IP addresses looking for open ports and will send spam messages directly to your desktop.
    The initial probe is a scan of UDP port 135. My firewall has logged three of these scans this month so far.
    What will they think of next... [​IMG]

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

That's computer hacking. Time for arrests!

3. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Ive started to get these. Is there a way to block without using a firewall? I dont even have mesesneger on my PC

TIA

Earle

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Earle, what OS are you running? "Messenger" refers to the Windows Messenger, a standard service in NT, 2000, and XP used to send pop-up messages across a local network (using the Net Send command), not an instant messenger program.

If you're running XP, you might try enabling the built in firewall. I don't know if it blocks the messenger port though. Another option is to disable the messenger service, from COntrol Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

KJP

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Wow, that sounds really devious. I'm sure business owners are not going to stand for this too long...

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

7. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

They run Win2000 at school and in many classes there were always windows popping up and I could never figure out where the hell they were comin' from. Wonder if these are the same thing?

Sean

8. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Kevin,

Thanks for the help. It seems to have worked

Earle

9. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Sean, the messenger windows will have "Messenger Service" in the title bar and "Message from (computername) to (your name or IP address) on (date)" as the first line. If it's that, then either you're receiving messenger spams, or your classmates are using the "net send" command to send messages around.

KJP

10. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I use the "net send" command a bunch to talk to a bunch of coworkers here.... There's also windows based applets that do the same thing:
    http://tomsprograms.toms-world.org/NetSend.shtml
    Simple plain program. It doesn't report errors though so the user isn't logged in, you wont know it, unlike running net send in a DOS window.
    Jay