What's new

A new twist on an old question... (1 Viewer)

SteveMarcR

Grip
First off,

Let me say how truly fantastic I think this forum is. I have purchased an entire HT system, which I am very excited about (I'm still waiting for the delivery of the TV), and I researched, read, and re-read so much on this foru. I am very grateful for the well of information on this site...

Now, my question:
I know that there is a quality difference between a low end and high end set of component cables. But is there is a difference in:

1) Digital Optical Audio cables. (If so, what's the front runner that's not a bank-breaker?)

2) DVI cables.

Since they are transferring digital data only, is there a truly noticable difference?

Thanks in advance...
Steve

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
With regards to optical, the AES, in a recommendation that may still not be ratified, suggests that plastic toslink is suitable for lengths 5 meters and less while glass is recommended past that. Other than that, its very tough to judge quality as part of it is certainly due to the connector which admittedly even when well done leaves much to be desired. FWIW, there is a company that makes metal coated toslink (armor coated I think they call it) with reasonable (to me) prices. It's fairly robust and you can even step on it and not break the fibers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks