I admit, in the archives of Trek, I'd rate:

DS9
TNG
TOS
. (long drop)
The Animated Series
. (another long drop)
Enterprise/Voyager somewhere in there

TOS had some fantastic episodes.. (and some terrible ones, too..)

I wouldn't want to see Kirk back; but honestly, when I heard they were going to re-join the original cast with the new before Generations, I thought they had a story waiting to occur.. in the series, they had established that Spock was on Romulus, trying to lead them through a evolutionary revolution, and the acceptance of logic and was gaining ground in joining Romulus & Vulcan and undoing the schism. I thought: now that would make a cool, ST:VI type movie with the Romulans, some plot regarding either something going right or wrong with things on Romulus, etc.. and it would have been setup by the storylines of the show.

But, basically, the movies have ditched most of what made TNG good. It's as though the writers from that show, and DS9 have ditched trek and the writers of Enterprise, etc. are the ones hashing out trek movie scripts. After the last film, I doubt their will be another for a good while. Definitely for the best.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Jason, just had to say that your response to Kevin's thread-fart was brilliant. :)

As for the whole "Bring Back Kirk" idea, let the character rest. I enjoy Gerrold's writing, and seeing him in the b/g of Ds9's "Trials & Tribbilations" was cool... but enough is enough.

I love TOS. It had great stories and it had poor ones. The acting went from great to bloody-awful...the budget was laughable. I never tire of watching it...but Kirk's day is done.

PS - Want more "classic" type-Trek? Head over to www.starshipexeter.com and support their project. :D They've done one episode, and are working on two more. The episode they've done is just like I described TOS above... ;)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Yes, Trek has been bad the last few years but I think if they were to do another movie with the original cast, do it as a Miniseries and get some non Braga and Berman writers.
It could be good.

kevin_tomb

Stunt Coordinator
JACK>>>>....First chill a bit..lol..I was more kidding than anything. Im not young..im 38. I watched the original trek episodes about 10-15 times each back in the day. EVERY ONE OF THEM>...I used to be able to name EVERY episode. Im not saying something old is bad just because its old. But im mostly referring to DAVID GERROLDS comments. To say Next generation is not as good as old trek is hard to fathom. Next generation had several boring episodes, especially the first season. But, and im a fan, the old series had a lot more LAME episodes. Yeah city on the edge of forever is great, so is menagerie, the cage version, shore leave and galieleo seven, and a good handful of others. But how many episodes NOWADAYS seem silly? Quite a few. Im not ripping on old star trek, just trying to be realistic. I might be saying this in 10 years about next generation. I used to love the old series..and couldnt stand next generation till about the 3rd season...then all the sudden I gave it a real chance and BAM>....it hit me...This show is great. The old show sorta went to the back of my mind.
Honesly voyage never became great to me, but seemed consistently okay and sometimes fun and pretty good. By then how many ideas can you come up with??...Just about every good story was already done, some a few times over. DS9 was very good in my opinion. Sometimes excellent. But in a way it wasnt really star trek..(maybe that was good) Enterprise.......uhhhhhh....WAIT>>>.mabye the old stuff isnt so bad..... :)

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
Would any of you guys pay to see a good Trek movie with the crew of the original series if they were all realistically animated by computer (ala Final Fantasy)? Or perhaps watch a new Trek series created the same way?

- Jack

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

That would take some getting used to but I would be willing to give it a shot. If it were done properly an animated series featurnig the crew that replaced TOS just might be cool .

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Would any of you guys pay to see a good Trek movie with the crew of the original series if they were all realistically animated by computer (ala Final Fantasy)? Or perhaps watch a new Trek series created the same way?
I think I've seen the concept of such a thing.. called Star Trek: Judgement Rights, a PC game from years back. Would I support it.. maybe if it were on TV. Would I pay money to see it? No. I'd pay money to see a trek movie with a cast no one knows about some other ship that got involved in a crazed event that shaped the Trek universe. Go a different direction. I think that's possible, and could be worthwhile. I sometimes wish the writers of Trek would take more from the spirit of spin-offs ala "Law & Order" and go different directions from the original concept rather then trying to stay the same.. DS9 did this best. I was one of those who favored a show about a Ferengi ship rather then a federation ship for the newest series... Trek still has life in it, but right now it needs a break and to rethink itself.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
A revised Star Trek? Great idea. And whilst we're about it, how about reworkings of other works? Why not Shakespeare? Desdemona doesn't lose her handkerchief. Macbeth ignores the witches. Hamlet does something instead of talking about it (anyone else ever thought that Hamlet is a typical arts student?).

Chris

Senior HTF Member
A revised Star Trek? Great idea. And whilst we're about it, how about reworkings of other works? Why not Shakespeare? Desdemona doesn't lose her handkerchief. Macbeth ignores the witches. Hamlet does something instead of talking about it (anyone else ever thought that Hamlet is a typical arts student?).
Trek isn't quite the bard.. I'm reminded of this weekly with Enterprise. :)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Bring Kirk Back! Picard can go back into the Nexus and pull Kirk out, prior to when he pulled him out the first time!

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Bring Kirk Back! Picard can go back into the Nexus and pull Kirk out, prior to when he pulled him out the first time!
LOL. Shatner would look a bit different this time around, I think. :D Shall we say he's gotten a bit "puffier" in the last few years.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Maybe he can go on the Nexus Pritikin Diet?

Let it die people. If only Paramount would...

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The only way this would work would be to do the movie totally in CGI and let Shatner and Nimoy provide the voices of their CGI counterparts.

I somehow don't think Paramount is quite ready to do something that drastic to extend the series ...

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
As far as "City on the Edge of Forever" goes, Harlan Ellison, being an eccentric sci-fi writer, really had no clue as to how to write a 1 hour television series that had to be written and shot in under 7 days. According to the book "Inside Star Trek" by Herb Solow and Robert Justman, two of the original producers, the show had severe financial restraints put on them by Desilu/Paramount that prevented them from producing the episode as written by Ellison. The final script as shot was actually a re-write that Gene Roddenberry did in order to meet the time and budget constraints demanded by Desilu/Paramount. Hence the tirade given by Ellison during his Emmy Awards acceptance speech that year when "City" won for best writing. Even with the Roddenberry re-write, all credit went to Ellison. The bottom line is that Ellison was clueless as to what it took to put on a show like "Star Trek" at the time. Each episode had only a $165,000 budget. If I remember correctly, "City" actually cost around $185,000.00, even with the re-write. Going over budget on one episode meant that the next few episodes had to be produced UNDER budget. Something unheard of today. Ellison gets no sympathy from me. His book is probably written from a pure writer's perspective and probably does not take into account the impact his original script would have had on the show as a whole if it had been shot as written. I have not read the book, but it would be interesting reading.

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
Star Trek Judgement rites was a sequel to Star Trek 25th Anniversary. They are both PC games from several years back that used the voices of the original cast. The game itself was a side-view adventure game in the style of those old Sierra games (King's Quest etc). Quite a bit of fun.

There was another game being developed that used full 3-D animated versions of the cast (with original crew voices) that I was quite looking forward to but it was scrapped.

- Jack

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
*dons asbestos suit*

I never really cared for the original series.

Everyone tells me it was a high quality production for its time, but the problem is, I wasn't in this country whenever that was (grew up overseas). By the time I got around to looking at it, the acting looked cheesy, the writing and directing looked cheesy. I just couldn't get into it (and believe me, I tried).

They can make another original series movie if they want, and they'll probably make money. But I hope you'll excuse me if I don't watch it.

*salivate* Now someone tell me when they're gonna make a Deep Space 9 movie!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Star Trek Judgement rites was a sequel to Star Trek 25th Anniversary. They are both PC games from several years back that used the voices of the original cast. The game itself was a side-view adventure game in the style of those old Sierra games (King's Quest etc). Quite a bit of fun.
I know. I loved that game, still have it in a box ;) I meant the story line/concept.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Was it supposed to make Ellison happy to be given credit for a story rewritten by Roddenberry? Furthermore, why would he particularly care to be credited for a story that he felt was inferior to the one he wrote?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
There is a little bit of truth to both sides of the story. Ellison's story, in his mind, was superior. But it does not degrade the story that was presented, even if it was different then his vision.

More then that, there is a great deal of studio politics involved, and yes, Desilu and others, for both production value and cost had set budgets for Star Trek that were less then many other shows in the time period, and by that undertaking, Ellison's story would have been farther over budget.. but if they were going to go over budget at all, even in the 60s, sex was an easier sell then other possibilities, and the ability to have an attractive woman for Kirk, a feature of the show and something they knew had ratings potential was a better perk then a story line that didn't have that element.

Whether anyone likes it or not, no TV show is ultruistic; they are all made on the concept they can return investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks