A new TITANIC special on the History Channel 4/13.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I just saw an ad that a new special entitled 'TITANIC: 90 Years Down' is debuting on the History Channel on April 13th, and will feature all new footage of the wreck.

I for one am very excited about this because the last I heard of the wreck, it was rapidly deteriorating, faster it seems then when she was found in 1985, and could collapse at any time, this was three years ago, and I have not seen any fresh footage of her in about 4 years. I am curious to see what condition she's in now.

From the quick glimpse I saw on the ad, she's still upright as always, but with alot more rust on her prow. I also read 2 years ago how an expedition team wanted to cut off her Port anchor, and remove the Telemotor from the remains of the ship's wheelhouse, but was overturned by the courts to leave the ship itself alone.

It's bad enough that they destroyed what was left of the crows nest trying to wrench the ship's bell from the mast, and crushed the top portion of the fallen foremast by ripping the morse lamp (which was well attached) from it's position.

I'll have my tape ready as usual.

2. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the heads up, John! Unfortunately I don't have the History Channel on my cable service -- but that should still give me enough time to hunt down a friend who does and get this one taped!

Discovery was really hot on Titanic specials for so long that I started taking them for granted. But a year or so after the buzz from the Cameron film died down, the specials started to dissipate. I hope this new one will be great!

3. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Agreed. I was in favor of raising the Titanic somehow, if only to preserve it for future societies. After I saw the Cameron movie, however, it changed my mind. If they can't raise it, maby they can at least 'clean it up' a little. For instance, removing all of the Rust eating barnicles from the ships hull, might give the ship a little more longevity.

Although, that being said, is there anyway someone would do a big budget Titanic movie again, only have it be about the ship and it's people, rather than a fake romance that never happend? The sad part about the Titanic movie, is that half of the audience going to it where teenyboppers who just wanted to see Decrapio....They could have cared less about the ship itself IMHO. The new movie could begin by following the construction of the giant ship, the history of it's sister ships, and follow it's exploit out into the ocean waters...

4. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Neil, I agree that some teens went for DeCaprio. Those individuals however did not belong in that movie, they should have stuck with 'Romeo and Juliet' and skipped 'Titanic', this film was not made for them, it was made for the people who were genuinly interested in the ship, and it's terrible fate. They did not get what James Cameron was doing with this movie.

Jack and Rose were merley an embodiment of the people on the ship, they were created to give us a lightning rod to harnesss our feelings into, so when one died, we truly understood the absolute sadness of that night. IMO the film wouldn't have been nearly as effective without them.

Now, I realize what I said about the teen crowd was a very arrogant statement to make, and I know that it doesn't apply to ALL teens, just some of them.

As far as "cleaning" the wreck, it can't be done. The rusticles are so delicate that when touched they crumble to dust, creating a cloud that you cannot see through until the current carries it away. Even if it could be done, that would be great for the outside of the ship, but most of the damage being done by the rust is taking place on the inside, they could do nothing about that, the superstructure is already in a very weakend state right now, it's best not to disturb it.

TITANIC is on it's last leg, nothing we do can stop it now.

Neil, have you seen a documentary called 'Titanic: Death of a Dream'? It is THE best documentary on TITANIC ever done. If you havn't seen it, it's a must view for every TITANIC buff.

5. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

6. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Dave,

it's been on the A&E network quite a few times, and is also available on dvd. Among Titanic buffs, this documentary is considered the finest out their. It's one of only two documentaries that almost brought me to tears. It's very powerful.

It's narrated by David McCallum, uncut it runs about 3 1/2 hours, and covers TITANIC from her idea in the mind of Bruce Ismay, to her construction, and of course the sinking. It is the coverage of the collision and sinking, where this documentary really gets to you. The doc intercuts reenactments of the event with testimonials by survivors and historians, and is capped off by a very lovely musical score.