What's new

A new sub project (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Allan I had a guest over tonight so I've only listened to it briefly after supper but I've built small shiva based subs before and they're pretty respectable sounding subwoofers. I'll likely end up "dragging" this little guy down into the HT one night and seeing how it does in there running of the LFE channel of my pre amp...I might also try it connected to my mains for stereo listening. The mains I built are ported at 32hz and have good low bass as is but it might be fun to see how well I can make it blend in with a low XO point (thinking about 40hz or so).

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
then a true CONGRATS is in order, good luck with the new family! my g/f was nice enough to give me some of her paternity leave so I can't wait to have 6 months off work, woohoo!

AllanRW

Second Unit
SLEEPYYYY
SLEEEEPPP.

Not for a while now.

Been there done that.
But the joy is worth every hour of no sleep.

The first year is the hardest for the first one.

Congrats and enjoy.
My little one is now 3 and she is lots of fun, even helps with sweeping the shop.Child labour .

Al

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I promised Bob I'd write up something about its performance and now that I've lived with the little wonder sub for a few weeks I feel I'm now comfortable talking about that aspect of it. I have been running this sub in my second zone to add to the bottom end of the Paradigm Atoms in the living room. Its been doing a very impressive job in that role. I ran some SPL sweeps though it this afternoon and the results were even more impressive then I could have imagined for a small 12" sub! I placed my SPL meter on the hardwood floor slightly underneath the box and ran a series of test tones recording the value from my analog Radio Shack SPL meter. Here's what those results look like when plotted in Excel.

As you can clearly see this little guy can really belt out the bass which is impressive considering its small size and that it’s a sealed unit! It won't reach down to the low teens like a large ported tempest can but then that's hardly a fair comparison :wink: What this will give you is solid performance down to about 30 Hz and respectable numbers down to nearly 20 Hz. I'd like to see how many commercial subs at this price point can match these numbers...very few I'd imagine. So would I recommend this sub? You bet I would! It’s exceptionally easy to build and the numbers above speak for themselves...this is a reasonably sized subwoofer that would feel very much at home in someone’s music system on in their Home Theater.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Wow, that is a REALLY impressive package for $399 Canadian!!!! I wish Creative Sound was around when I made my Shiva/AVA250 sub, I could have saved a bundle on shipping and other stupid charges, ah well, I still love it. Before I put my shiva in it's 4cuft ported box I tried it in a sealed box a little smaller than the CSS one and I know what Andrew means when he says it pounds, I just couldn't believe how loud it was for such a small sealed sub!!!!

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Cam I know its hard to believe this kit is only $399 cdn and that you could build it in an apartment with no tools at all! I should also mention that this plate amp came with a fixed 35 Hz boost which shows up pretty clearly on the response plot. There's some talk though that they're going to change that to 25 Hz which along with room gain should help to lower the F3 point a good bit.

DavidLC

Agent
Andrew -
Thanks for starting this thread and following up with the stats. I want to second the comment that you have done an outstanding job in the presentation of this project.
;)

P.S. I ordered mine today :D

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks David for the kind words..its been a fun project actually. Most of the other DIY projects I get involved with end up taking a lot of time to finish and while I love tinkering its sometimes nice to just have a quick and easy project esp. when they turn out so good:)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
David hope my response to your email helpped. I'm really looking forward to seeing how yours comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks