What's new

A new "Midnight Madness" release!!! (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I was just watching Animal House and I was trying to remember where I remember seeing Stephen Furst. It was in "Midnight Madness" with Michael J. Fox.

I see the Fullscreen DVD was released on May 15, 2001:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

But there's a listing for a Feb. 3, 2004 release:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Anyone else remember this movie that was always on HBO back in the 80's? Hopefully this new version will be OAR.

This movie was definitely one of my "Guilty Pleasures". :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
If the FBI stuck you in L.A., you can catch a rare theatrical screening of the movie midnight Nov. 7th at the Nuart Theatre, where just a few weeks ago the still-not-on-DVD LADIES AND GENTLEMEN THE FABULOUS STAINS had a respectable midnight show.

If enough people show up, it could help send a message to Disney to do this title right, and not just recycle the same transfer.

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
I think we can assume that this and Return to Oz will be both be widescreen. What is sort of annoying is that they have not contacted the filmmakers about doing a commentary. One of the directors, David Wechter, is one of my best friends (we wrote the original story for The Faculty together) and he was rather surprised when I told him Disney was doing it. His then partner, Mike Nankin, has had his agent call Disney, so maybe it's not too late, although, given the fact that's it's just about November, they're not holding out any hope.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I think we can assume that this and Return to Oz will be both be widescreen.
I'm not sure how safe of an assumption that really is for Midnight Madness. The last time around, Disney only provided Anchor Bay with a "full frame" element (presumably an old video master) that was unsuitable for a proper widescreen transfer. While we might hope that Disney has decided to finally invest some money in the title and re-do it properly, it doesn't seem to me to be guaranteed. Let's hope for the best.

And the next time you speak to Mr. Wechter, please tell him that his film changed my life (for the better). ;)

DJ

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Put in my vote for a widescreen re-release.

To date, this is the only DVD I've purchased in P&S, simply because I couldn't believe the movie had a big enough fan base to convince Disney to put it out in widescreen.

Now to work on MGM for Mr. Mom...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, if I had seen this DVD sooner, I too would have bought it in the dreaded "Pan And Scan" format. Not only was I surprised to see it available on DVD, but then to have it be re-released :eek: Hopefully we will be blessed with OAR.

I'm also glad to hear so many others who also loved this movie. :emoji_thumbsup:

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Saw this one in the theater with my dad when I was eight years old. Still remember the radio ad that made me want to see it.

It deserves to be widescreen.

-Reagan

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
The strong feeling of those in the know is that this and Return to Oz will be widescreen. That's all I can tell you. There would be no reason for Disney to reissue the same transfers as Anchor Bay - the only hope they have of reselling these two titles is do anamorphic new transfers, and that's what I believe will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks