What's new

A new MANHUNTER disc is coming July 8! (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter
From Video Store Magazine (3/31/03):

Red Dragon Predecessor Manhunter Is Redone
Author: ENRIQUE RIVERO
[email protected]
Posted: March 31, 2003

Michael Mann was only too happy to oblige when Anchor Bay Entertainment approached him about producing a new director’s cut DVD of Manhunter, his 1986 screen adaptation of the Thomas Harris novel Red Dragon.

The first time around, Anchor Bay had used a cut that, while good, came from an inferior one-inch master that Mann said had been “just lying around.”

Paired in the same two-disc limited edition set with the THX-certified theatrical cut, that director’s cut received more than a few critical brickbats for what many called its sub-par transfer -- especially given that it came from Anchor Bay, whose output has been praised for its consistently high quality.

But now, Anchor Bay and Mann have gone back to the film with a vengeance to produce the all-new Manhunter Restored Director’s Edition, sporting the supplier’s first-ever transfer from a high-definition master as well as a new cut that differs from the prior extended cut.

complete article at:

http://www.hive4media.com/news/html/...rticle_ID=4636

LennyP

Supporting Actor
That's great, I already have the 2 disc R1 LE, but a better transfer and even a 3rd cut of the movie, that'll be great!
There is a 2disc special edition coming out in UK on 12th May, I suppose it's just like a previous R1 LE only maybe a new transfer, but no new dir's cut.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
The article states Dolby Digital mono!?

"He (M Mann) supervised both the high-definition mastering and the sound, which will be in Dolby Digital mono. “I did it myself,” he said."

Why suddenly lower the audio when raising the picture quality?

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Dolby Digital mono? And here I was hoping Anchor Bay would grace us with another DD-EX/DTS-ES title. Listening to "Heartbeat" over the end credits in mono..come to think of it, that sounds like a blessing in disguise. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what type of soundtrack the film had in theaters?

RickardL

Supporting Actor
With regards to the sound; IMDB says 6 channel track for 70mm prints and Dolby for the 35mm prints.
I don't think I ever saw it in 70mm.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Anchor Bay will release a 2-Disc set of Michael Mann's Hannibal Lecter thriller, produced and supervised by the director, on July 8th. MSRP is $19.98:

Disc 1:

Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer from a high definition master.(Colors will be toned down somewhat to achieve a more darker look to the film.) Aspect Ratio of 2.35:1.

Newly remastered Dolby Digital Mono Soundtrack.

Audio Commentary by Director Michael Mann

It will also be in a newer cut that differs from the extended version. Two minutes will be deleted at the film's beginning (Graham meeting with his shrink).

Disc 2:

The original screenplay.

Poster and Ad Gallery.

Deleted and Alternate scenes still gallery.

Theatrical Trailer

Production Gallery.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
No, its not being inserted into the film. It was proabaly a part of the extended cut, if I'm not mistaken, and they decided to cut it for some reason. But they are deleting the 2 minutes of the meeting from what has been announced.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I think that implies that it will pretty much be all-encompassing with the exception of a scene that's never been included in the first place (as far as I know, there are several different cuts of the movie in existence) because Mann just doesn't like it. Hopefully we'll get the footage from the theatrical cut of the movie that's missing from both Anchor Bay versions of the movie.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Yep, the missing scene from the existing version is the key for me picking this up. Hopefully it will be properly restored.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
The scene will not be restored into the movie. It will be deleted from the film all together, in other words, it will not be on the disc at all. (maybe it will be in the deleted and alternate scene gallery, but who knows)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
This makes it the third release of the film, behind the Limited Edition and the other release. I'm suprised they didn't decide to remaster and remix the soundtrack into 5.1 or DTS, since the previous 5.1 was said to be pretty bad. Either way, at least it is a remastered mono soundtrack to achieve the original audio. The transfer itself should be a vast improvement.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Either way, at least it is a remastered mono soundtrack to achieve the original audio.
Mono actually fails to achieve the original audio. The film ran with a Dolby Stereo (aka 2.0 surround) track theatrically. Perhaps, however, they were not able to recover the sound elements for the new reinserted footage, and the choice came down to mono or a poor-sounding remix.

DJ

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
So, it's in mono. Can receivers just send the mono sound through all the speakers?

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Why on earth would a trailer and a few stills galleries require a second disc (especially when the film itself is two hours long and only has a mono soundtrack)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks