1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A new Jackie Gleason Show 3-DVD set is coming on May 15, 2018...details to follow

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by rmw650, Apr 25, 2018.

1. rmw650

rmw650 Second Unit

Richard W
    Flashgear likes this.
  2. MartinP.

MartinP. Screenwriter

Martin
    From the press release:

Across three beautifully-remastered collector's discs, THE JACKIE GLEASON SHOW IN COLOR: DELUXE EDITION contains 12 never-before-released episodes.

Running time listed: 496 mins.
    Divided by 12 episodes = 41.3 mins., so episodes, all or some, are edited.

Flashgear likes this.
  3. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

Had me excited for a minute until I read the description. According to the write-up, this is just a sampler of the big set they already released, despite using the phrase "previously unreleased."

However, it does appear that it will include all the Honeymooners shorts and is cheaper than the bigger set.

I wish they would stop with all this "multiple versions of the same release" stuff.

MartinP. and Flashgear like this.
  4. rmw650

rmw650 Second Unit

Richard W
    Mark, it's all about TL trying to make additional coin on these sets by breaking up the mega ones and selling these outright to the retail outlets, the same that they did to the Dean Martin Roasts, Hee Haw and Carol Burnett shows for starters.

Flashgear and Mark Y like this.
  5. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    There are people who are only interested in the "Honeymooners" Skits and will be more willing to buy this set than the big one. Smart move on Time-Life to put the 7 shows with the last of unreleased 1960's skits.

Now did they turn these classics skits into musicals as well, or did Jackie just decide to do straight remakes-updates of the original 1950's skits.

Flashgear likes this.
  6. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

They are not musical at all. Just straight remakes of the 1950s skits, maybe with a few ad-libs and updated contemporary references. One of these skits, "Alice's Birthday," was performed in the 1950s but the live versions have not surfaced. Yet, IIRC some of the dialogue sounded familiar to me. I have to watch it again. Maybe part of it was reworked into something else.

Flashgear likes this.