"A New Hope" recorded in Dolby Stereo??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sergio Z., Mar 5, 2003.

1. Sergio Z.

Sergio Z. Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know for sure if Episode IV was only originally recorded and released in Dolby Stereo 2-channel in 1977? Or did Dolby Stereo incorporate any surround channels at all? I though I read a while back that the original mix was in 6-track stero....is that the same as Dolby Stereo...or was that actually a 6-track remix made for the 70MM prints? Thx everybody

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Star Wars (sans "A New Hope") had at least three sound mixes in 1977:

35mm mono
    35mm Dolby Stereo (surround)
    70mm six-track Dolby Stereo (surround)
    There may have been other variations as well.

All of them were slightly different.

3. BenjaminG

BenjaminG Stunt Coordinator

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Just to clarify what Peter has posted, it should be noted that the 70mm 6-track mix was prepared in somewhat of a rush for the premiere of the film. Afterwards, as there was time between the 70mm premiere and the 35mm general release, furter tweaking was done for the 35mm Dolby Stereo and the 35mm mono mixes. In 1993, for the Definitive Collection laserdisc, a "final" 2.0 stereo surround mix was created which combined various versions.

DJ

5. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

I have heard rumors that the mono track contained the elusive "Blast it, Wedge, where are you?" I wonder if they're true...

6. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

In addition to the above, I understand the 70mm 6 track mix of STAR WARS was in the BABY BOOM configuration rather than the tradition TODD-AO configuration of 5 behind the screen and 1 surround. With the BABY BOOM setup, you have left, center, right, and surround, with the other 2 tracks providing the bass. Essentially "4.1" or pretty close. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS did this on its 70mm mix as well I believe. Shortly afterwards, Superman and then Apocalypse Now split the surround, providing the first 5.1.