A new edition of Winged Migration?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Cheese, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Chris Cheese

Chris Cheese Stunt Coordinator

I happened across the special edition of Winged Migration, due on 11/22 (next Tuesday) while I was browsing there today. Does anyone know anything about this? I have to say that the cover is about 100x better than the last one. I never got around to buying it, though I should have, so this new one entices me. Is it just a repackaging and repricing of the old disc to coincide with the rerelease of March of the Penguins or is it actually a special edition?

[​IMG]

2. CameronMcC

CameronMcC Second Unit

same disc...just added penguines to trick the buyer...

3. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I wonder if this title will lose popularity now that bird flu is a hot topic.

4. Chris Cheese

Chris Cheese Stunt Coordinator

Ah well, that figures. But I suppose a much nicer looking cover and a price drop will probably be enough incentive for me to finally pick it up.

5. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

It's just a blatantly exploitive attempt on the part of Sony Pictures Home Entertainment's crackerjack marketing department...you know...those folks who gave you the SPECIAL ANNIVERSARY EDITION of ANNIE that was Pan & Scan and not on any anniversary....to draft off the success of MARCH OF THE PENGUINS.

I hate these companies constantly reissuing and repackaging the same old crap instead of turning their attentions to products that people want!

Realistically, even though Columbia was a poverty-row studio for most of its first 50 years, they still have dozens of excellent films, that would make money, which languish in the vaults, while they reissue yet another edition of something that came out only a moment ago.

Shameful!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    ^ Yeah, I figured it was a rip on MotP. Actually, the original/previous new cover advertised until last week was MUCH worse...it was ALL penguins, no geese. Since the movie was maybe 5% penguin, I guess maybe even Sony thought again...perhaps someone told their brilliant marketing department that penguins don't fly, nor do they really "migrate" by standard definition of the term (I'm not totally forgiving the WM people either for including the penguins, but then penguins are cute and geese not so much)...

7. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

and what definition might that be? References to the migratory habits of various penguin species are quite common in the scientific literature.

For instance, see this article. It refers to this study (The full text is not yet available to the general public; nevertheless, the abstract refers to migration, indicating that the term is not the figment of some zealous, but confused journalist's imagination)

8. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    OK, OK, I just *knew* someone would bring up something like this. Regardless, of redefinitions of migration, everything gets redefined these days, to suit whatever purpose (follow the money). But I think you get my main point, that Winged Migration is mainly about flying birds that travel thousands of miles...a full cover of penguins doesn't fit that well.