What's new

A new computer hooked up to an old router. Please help. (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Question....

What holds all the information that you put into
your router upon installation so that it recognizes
the broadband signal? Is it the computer or the
router?

Let me explain....

I am using a computer hooked to a Linksys 4-port
router that feeds into other computers in the house.

I have just bought a brand new Dell computer that
I am expecting in the next 2 weeks.

I'll be starting all over again with a brand new
computer and clean Windows XP software. I have no
clue what my router settings were, and I remember
it was a real bitch to set my router up.

I am hoping all the information my new computer
needs is already embedded in the router and that
my new MASTER computer will automatically download
those settings.

What can I expect when I hook up this router to it
for the first time?

Thanks for the help.

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
The linksys routers are all configured via software on the device so you shouldn't have to do anything if you change or add machines. Just make sure you know your router's username and password if you changed it from the default.
I've only messed around w/ 2-3 yr old linksys cable/dsl routers so if it's older than that someone else might want to chime in.
Generally you set your browser to Link Removed and it should pull up your router's config page and ask you for a password. I believe it's no username and "admin" for the password. You should have changed it for security reasons but maybe not. From there you can view/change all your router's info.
If it was setup as a DHCP server you should have nothing to do with your new computer(s). Just setup TCP/IP and it should grab the needed info to connect to that net thing everyone keeps talking about.
Rob Lloyd

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ron:

Like Rob said all you have to do is plug the router into your new PC and then go to the control panel > network connections and use the set up wizard to tell it you have a network connection instead of dial up and the rest is automatic.

Parker

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
That's correct, the other replies are right on. Just make sure when you check the DCHP tab on the router config, that's set to at least 5, or however many PC's you have there... I believe the default is 50 anyway.

Just plug it in, and the router will do the rest... I've installed dozens of them at houses for clients.

Tom

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Just be a little patient with it - it may take a moment to synch. Mostly, that is with a router that you're switching on. If the router is already running, it should be very quick.
Best of luck - I am fixing to do the same thing, once that Dell 1600SC shows up... I can't wait :D Thanks to you guys for setting up deals like that!
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.