What's new

A new amp for my classe ssp30 mkII (1 Viewer)

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Why not go with a Classe amp? They're terrific. I use a Classe integrated to power my Nautilus 804s, a tremendous combination. I believe the CAV-180 is Classe's current multi-channel amp. You can probably find a near new one at audiogon.com.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Rich, thanks for the Rotel/hometheaterspot link. I had not heard of this problem before and I came real close to getting the 1095. I opted for the Sherbourn 5/1500A because I could get it for $500 less and I liked the mono block design.

Mike, by all means consider Classe amps. You may get lucky and find one used in your price range. Still, for new amps in the under 2K range, it is hard to beat Sherbourn.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
you are welcome...

if it was mymoney, under $2k, i would see how much a 3 channel cary goes for...

or i would wait until classe comes out with more info on their new stuff and you know that the older stuff is going to be cancelled, good buys that way...

if i had to have one right this minute, i would look at the the anthem, adcom, outlaw, sherbourn, AT, and sherwood offereings...

i would also look at this baby:

http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_724.htm

thats a lotta amp.

Bob Lvl

Grip
Here are some photos of Classé's new series -

cinenow.com/us/reportage.php/sid,424

cinenow.com/us/reportage.php/sid,821/

I think they are the best looking components on the market ... and eveything matches.

The problem is the pirces that I have heard are astronomical - some examples-

SSP-6000 processor CA$12,000
SSP-9000 processor CA$18,000
CA-5200 5x200 amp CA$12,000
CDP-300 universal DVD CA$12,000

I put a down payement on a CAV-180 this morning (price will be CA$4000) ... being shipped brand new from Classé to my dealer this week. It is the last one Classé had.

Felix_H

Stunt Coordinator
Acoording to Rick W, The ATI 250x5 is a good bargain if you want power for 5 channels new.

However it Requires a 20 Amp Circuit

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I wonder what Mike decided to do? Don't you hate it when you get no feedback from the original poster? Did they lose the link, win the lottery, get nixed by a wife, run over by a truck or what????? :frowning:

Mike Butny

Stunt Coordinator
Im still alive guy's. I still waiting to unload my marants sr18 reciever before a purchase the amp. I hate when someone say's I buy it off of you next week and next week comes around and it's give two more weeks and then I'll buy it. Back to the amp, I'm considering a three channel version of the cinenova grande thats if I can move the marantz sr18 reciever.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Mike, I went through the same thing with selling equipment. Thats what ebay was made for. :D I could not find any SR18 items for sell or completed on ebay but I did find one over at audiogon. That $2700 receiver, which is a 1999 model, is being sold for around $800 JFYI. I'd put it on ebay with a minimum reserve of what you think you could live with.

You really have to have a HOT item to sell it on your own IMO. For example, I could have sold dozens of Sony TA-P9000es's but unloading the E9000es was a different story. I think I got a fair market value on ebay.

Felix_H

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I heard a Bryston 4B ST on my friends CDM 7NT and his Yamaha DSP-1. The sound was very good.

You could always consider used Brystons. Outstanding 20 year warranty too.

A 5B ST(3x120watts) or 6B SST (3x300watts) would be ideal for 3 channels. Bryston power is usually understated so expect about 20% more.

For about $2k, you could get a used Bryston 9B ST (5x120watts).

If you go the 3 channel route, you could alwayas get used 3B's or 4B's later on for the rears when your budget permits.

Hard to find a used 5B though. I see one on auction now and if others see it, everyones going to hop on it!

Dougie

Grip
Hey Rich Wenzel, you stated, "i would wait until classe comes out with more info on their new stuff and you know that the older stuff is going to be cancelled, good buys that way..." Have you seen that in the past with Classe or are you just stating this in general. The reason I ask is that I just paid retail for a Classe SSP MKII ($2500) and the CAV180 ($3500). The local dealer wouldn't budge on the price because the new Classe stuff was much more expensive and the older stuff is a relatively greater value. What do you think?
Doug

James^Brian

Agent
I can tell you my local dealer had his Classe Demo's at a substantial discount (about 30%-40%). I wanted to pick-up one of those monster amps up, but I have other needs I need to take care of first. I dunno if all dealers are doing this but I couldnt help but look @ $1500 off an amp :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks