What's new

A new, amazing, thorough and hilarious critique of The Phantom Menace (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brent M /forum/thread/296068/a-new-amazing-thorough-and-hilarious-critique-of-the-phantom-menace/30#post_3640843
I didn't need more than a minute to realize that I didn't have a bit of interest in what he had to say....
Saying you have "no interest" in his comments is a shift from what you said earlier, which was that what he said is "moronic" (which you couldn't know without actually listening to what he said), which, unfortunately, didn't keep you from saying it anyway.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by RobertR /forum/thread/296068/a-new-amazing-thorough-and-hilarious-critique-of-the-phantom-menace/60#post_3640900
Saying you have "no interest" in his comments is a shift from what you said earlier, which was that what he said is "moronic" (which you couldn't know without actually listening to what he said), which, unfortunately, didn't keep you from saying it anyway.
Read what I say before you quote me. I said the guy was a moron which is the opinion I formed of him after listening to a little over a minute of his commentary. The part about me having no interest in what he has to say still holds true, though, so you're batting .500 in your analysis of my posts.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brent M /forum/thread/296068/a-new-amazing-thorough-and-hilarious-critique-of-the-phantom-menace/60#post_3640927
I said the guy was a moron which is the opinion I formed of him after listening to a little over a minute of his commentary.
Making such a judgment after listening to about 1.4% of what the man had to say (you have no knowledge of how intelligent or insightful the comments were, which would belie your judgment) about the subject is premature to say the least.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
When he starts off with that voice and talking about his dead felon son, I'm with Brent in not caring to hear his opinion. I've come to the point where the only prequel I really like is Clones, so maybe some of what he said would have value, but I'm not cutting through his chosen persona to get to it. That kind of approach is a dime a dozen in the wake of the Angry Nintendo Nerd, and I'm not sitting through it any more.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by RobertR /forum/thread/296068/a-new-amazing-thorough-and-hilarious-critique-of-the-phantom-menace/60#post_3640933
Making such a judgment after listening to about 1.4% of what the man had to say (you have no knowledge of how intelligent or insightful the comments were, which would belie your judgment) about the subject is premature to say the least.
That 1.4% was enough for me to form an opinion, but if you have nothing better to do with 70 min. of your life then by all means enjoy that crap to your heart's content.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
At first I thought he was a real moron, but as the documentary went on, of course it was evident that he was just putting on a character. By the time he took his camera in his basement I was fully on board. A great critique of the baffling plot of the film, sharp insight into the unstated reaction of the producer, and a good production all-around.

Most of all, I am pleased to finally be rid of my belief that if I'd just TRIED HARDER, I would have understood what the heck the Trade Federation was doing.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
For those who can't get enough, the guy also has reviews of the four Star Trek: The Next Generation Films:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RedLetterMedia#g/a

The character description bit he pulled reminded me a lot of Michael Moore's kind of entertaining, but not entirely bulletproof, antics. I don't think there's any coincidence the reviewer is named "Mike" from Wisconsin. If you listen to his narrative performance, he's even got some of Moore's inflections and tone.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's a CHARACTER guys, one used to hold the interest of warring factions of both apologists and haters. He's adding his own mythos in to what is arguably well trod ground. Is it necessary? Is it funny? That's debatable. But it doesn't make his critique of the film any less thorough. And please, quit with the personal sniping guys =/

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Okay I had a quick look at some of that video and the guy was going for a Michael Moore type thing, I'm not sitting thru 70mins of it though.

The prequels are fun, the visuals are great, the dialogue atrocious, the word "master" is uttered hundreds and hundreds of times in each film, sometimes a dozen times within the space of a minute. My guilty pleasure favourite of the three is Attack of the Clones. Phantom Menace the worst of the three, but I'll still take that over last years biggest movie. The 1977 Star Wars is by far my favourite of the 6 Star Wars films and sitting comfortably in my all time top 10.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brent M /forum/thread/296068/a-new-amazing-thorough-and-hilarious-critique-of-the-phantom-menace/60#post_3640962
if you have nothing better to do with 70 min. of your life
It was certainly a FAR more enjoyable, entertaining 70 minutes than watching the film itself.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Regarding over analyzing films, here's good timing, thanks to Roger Ebert who just twittered this with approval:
http://www.racialicious.com/2009/12/21/and-we-shall-call-this-moffs-law/

(warning, bad language in the link)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
I said before but I think it's a waste of time to spend so much of your life agonizing over not liking a movie that came out 10 years ago. If this was 1999, I could understand that it was still a fresh to wound to the man. However, it's been 10 years so it's way past time for him to say "Fuck that movie" and just stop thinking about it. I'm sure all of the people posting in this thread that hate The Phantom Menace have managed to do the same so I find it weird and sad that someone can't do that.
While I quoted you specifically, my comment was in general regard to the "waste of time" attitudes.
How can an intelligent examination of the art of one of the most important filmmakers be considered a waste of time? Even if it is 10 years too late, people still watch and argue about Lucas' work. Kids today are watching this movie and 20 years they'll be discussing it with their college roommates; so 30 years after its release this critique will still be highly relevant.
And in what must be among the most frivolous, time-wasting hobbies -- online discussion forums :) -- how can we possibly decry anothers' endeavor (which directly relates to our favorite way of wasting time) as "a waste of time to spend so much of your life" on? Really, it boggles my mind to read commenters in HTF saying that a thoughtful examination of the fundamentals to good cinematic story telling is a waste of time. I can't wrap my head around this opinion.
Yeah, his form of jestering was offensive: I could have done without the crazy-murderer schtick. And the voice was annoying. But the content is solid. And if you think that any movie older than last year isn't worth discussing, then consider its comments with regards to today's action-adventure movies. It still works.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sutliff
if we're gonna deconstruct every movie, than they all fail.
That's nonsense.

Arguing from the commentary structure:Batman The Dark Knight has an obvious hero: Batman. It has an obvious villain: Joker. It has a simple story: Hero must stop Villain. It has simple character tension: Hero must succeed without becoming Villainous himself. It has internal logic: Batman behaves in Batman-y ways. Joker behaves per his internal logic. The entire thing hangs together. (there are issues in details: Joker executes impossible feats of organizational planning and execution. So be it.)

The argument against TPM is that it fails in all these regards. No hero. No villain. Main characters behave without regard to their internal character logic. It lacks character drama. Nothing about it hangs together.

Maybe that's a flawed analysis. But that's the analysis as I understood it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DaveF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really, it boggles my mind to read commenters in HTF saying that a thoughtful examination of the fundamentals to good cinematic story telling is a waste of time. I can't wrap my head around this opinion.
My mind is as equally boggled (if that's a word) about how much people have to keep telling people how bad the SW prequels were. There's no other movies in human history that make people, a decade after the release of the first one, go on and on about how bad they were. I think it's fair to say that The Matrix sequels, Batman And Robin or even Superman III and IV were disliked by a large number of people but no one spends as much time trying to point out why they were bad movies as people do with the Star Wars prequels.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Oh god, the Matrix sequels just absolutely slay me for how bad they are, they completely betray the original premise ;(

I tried to watch through these. I watched the first ten minutes of the youtube critique and had to stop. I can deal with a Roger Ebert written dress down, or something that seems informational; but in the first ten minutes outside of tons of language, there were mostly references to child-raping kids who commit suicide and swearing rather then any real discussion of structure/storyline.

I'm sure there can be a very good argument made against The Phantom Menace. Just as there could be many films. But if I'm going to hear the argument, it might be better coming from someone who isn't this goober.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I thought it was funny and he did have some good points and I like the Phantom Menace, flawed though it is.

Agreed that it would have been better to make Obi Wan the central character here and combine him with Qui Gonn.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR /forum/thread/296068/a-new-amazing-thorough-and-hilarious-critique-of-the-phantom-menace/60#post_3641122
My mind is as equally boggled (if that's a word) about how much people have to keep telling people how bad the SW prequels were. There's no other movies in human history that make people, a decade after the release of the first one, go on and on about how bad they were. I think it's fair to say that The Matrix sequels, Batman And Robin or even Superman III and IV were disliked by a large number of people but no one spends as much time trying to point out why they were bad movies as people do with the Star Wars prequels.
Exactly. I think the only 3 things in life you can rest assured people will argue about are Politics, Religion and Star Wars. No other film franchise in history has caused so much disagreement among people and I can't understand how some refuse to let it go. In addition to the movies you mentioned we also have Spider-Man 3, Indiana Jones IV, The Godfather III, Transformers 2 and countless other big franchise sequels that sucked epically, but the only ones people continue to bitch about to this day are the SW prequels. I'll never understand the fixation some have on complaining about these films.

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished watching the entire thing and damn, is that that some funny messed-up s**t. It goes beyond just rehashing past criticisms and turns into a full on comedy performance piece. I can see that the humor is not for everyone, but the really insightful points he makes mixed in with the character's demented state of mind creates something far beyond just a disgruntled fanboys rant.

"Protogonist"
"A guy named William Shakesmen once said..."
"So the film is named "The Phantom Menace" and by the nature of the title there is no clear villain. HEY IDIOT, YOU'RE NOT MAKING THE USUAL SUSPECTS HERE! YOU'RE MAKING A MOVIE FOR CHILDREN RIGHT?!"

Awesome.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Don't forget his consistent mis-reference of major historical events. And the edits that cut himself off just kill me.

I feel like those who don't appreciate the humor of the review should get a stripped down, humorless version so they can see some of the insights the guy actually has about storytelling and character.

Anyone wanna do these guys a favor? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks