"a network cable is unplugged", why?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Feb 24, 2003.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i have two pcs at home, wirelessly connected to share one cable modem. i use a router paired with a wireless access point.

the problem is, the other pc, located in the living room, frequently says "a network cable is unplugged". it would connect to the net again in a few minutes, but sometimes in more than 15 minutes.

what the hell is happening here?

please help, thanks in advance.

2. Duane R

Duane R Second Unit

Sounds like the connection is getting dropped. Anytime a computer loses its connection to the router, that message will pop up.

3. felix_suwarno

i just checked that everything is connected. so i really have no idea why there is a cable unplugged.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I get that message on a notebook that has both wireless access and a separate ethernet port. The message refers to the ethernet port, which is not in use; I ignore it.

When one of my machines has its wireless access interrupted, I get a different message (usually "Wireless network is unavailable").

M.

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

If the message comes up and you are unable to gain access to the network or the internet, it sounds like the signal between some of your wireless equipment is being interrupted.
    Whenever network connectivity is lost (whether a cable is physically unplugged or not) you'll get that message.

6. felix_suwarno

how to prevent such loss?

thx

7. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I'm not familiar at all with wireless networking, so someone else should be able to give you specifics, but it seems like most anything could affect wireless performance from distance to transmitter to any other wireless doo-hickeys that may be used in your house (or in your neighborhood for that matter).

8. Monte Montoya

Monte Montoya Auditioning

If you have an Ethernet card and a wireless card also and you are connecting via the wireless card you can disable the Ethernet port if you are running winxp or win2k in the network properties. that will keep the error message form coming up.

Monte

9. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Not sure if this works in other versions of windows but if you have 2 NICs installed, in windows NT you can go to: Control Panel -> System -> Hardware Profiles. Copy the current profile to a new one named wireless and re-name the current one to wired (or whatever floats your boat). You can also make the system wait for you to select which profile to use at boot time.
    Then Control Panel -> Devices. Find the device drivers for the wired and wireless cards and disable the wired card in the wireless profile and disable the wireless card in the wired profile.
    At boot time you select which profile to use, thereby disabling the unused card and stopping the error messages.

10. felix_suwarno

i am using xp home edition, and the troubled pc has a built in mobo network card.

how do i disable the ethernet port? what is ethernet port anyway?

the "receiver" i am using is a usb device.

thanks to all.

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

An ethernet port is the jack for the most common form of wired network connection. It takes an RJ-45 plug, which looks very similar to the RJ-11 plug used by telephone equipment. If you have a built-in network card, you probably have one. To confirm:

1. Open Control Panel
    2. Select "Network and Internet Connections"
    3. Select "Network Connections" (icon at the bottom of the list)
    4. Look at the list of network connections. (You might want to copy it here, since that may help people diagnose the problem.)

M.

12. JohnTKline

JohnTKline Stunt Coordinator

felix: You'll probably have to go into the bios setup to disable your onboard lan card.

John

13. felix_suwarno

disable onboard lan card??? ok, i will try to do that.

thank you.

14. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

You'll get the "cable is unplugged" message whenever the connection drops for some reason. The computer doesn't actually detect a cable as such, it detects a live electrical (or wireless) connection.

If, for instance, you have faulty hardware that shuts down for a period of some minutes, you'll get the "cable is unplugged" message. You could also have a cable with an intermittent break in it, say if you have it so you can accidentally kick it; one kick breaks the connection, the next kick (or brush with your foot...) reconnects the wires.

Basically, the error message in question just tells you that the connection has somehow been broken, up to you to figure out how and where. [​IMG]