What's new

A neat little idea for all 'Music Area' regulars to consider... (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I am blatantly stealing this idea from a film score forum I frequent, but I think it is neat nevertheless, and a good way to avoid "what are you listening to right now" polls coming up every now and again.
At the tail end of your post, feel free to add a little NP (Now Playing) tag to list what you've been spinning recently, or better yet, are listening to at the time of typing your message. Note the format too, CD, SACD, DVD-A...etc. Keep this to posts within the Music Area only, obviously.
Be nice to see the idea takes off here. Give it a go! :)
Dan (UK)
NP: Moulin Rouge vol2 (CD)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
That's a pretty good idea. I'm not one for polls, but I'm always looking for good recommendations about new music or what certain people like to listen to.

NP: Bob Dylan - The Supper Club Upgrade 11/16/1993 (early show) CD

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
Great idea to fight off the never ending "what is in your player" now threads.

NP: Temptations Greatest Hits Volume II

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Great suggestion, Dan. In the movie-oriented sections, maybe we could add a JW (just watched).

Jon

NP: Joni Mitchell, Blue

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dan, very good idea. It kills two birds with one stone in that people can say what they are listening to while they are posting something useful. Those "What are you listening now?" threads tend to waste bandwidth.

Unfortunately, I am not playing anything right now, as I am about to go out.

NP: Nothing.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Interesting idea.

NP: Iced Earth; Horror Show and A Tribute To Benny Goodman by Green Hill Records.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
A stellar plan!

NP(on the radio) Whole Lotta Love, Led Zep.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I doubt anyone's heard of this one...

NP: Joe Carter with Nilson Matta: "2 For 2"

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Brian, funny you have Iced Earth on. I just picked up Dark Saga, but that's more because I'm a Spawn fan and just had to get this. I'll probably check out some more, though.

All hail 80s metal!

NP: Kind Diamond, Them, CD

Brian E

Screenwriter
Mike, it's funny cause I'm not a super huge metal fan (I can only handle so 'heavy'), but Iced Earth is one of my favorite bands of any type. I just ordered the 5 disc limited set from Germany, Dark Genesis. Dark Saga is a great album another one I really enjoy. Many people think I'm strange, because I can enjoy something like Iced Earth or Nevermore and at the same time like Miles Davis or Bach. I mean I'm strange, but not because of that. ;)
NP: Iced Earth Horror Show and A Tribute To Benny Goodman by Green Hill Records

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Aha! This was rumored to have started on the venerable Guided By Voices "Postal Blowfish" mailing list all the way back in 1995 (I could be wrong, but would like to think that I'm not!).

np: Supersuckers, Must've Been Live

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Kinda funny to see the entire body of the post consisting of "just what's playing" though. :) Wonder if there's a way to use html code to pull data from ID3 tags - I know it can be done with your local cpu's time. (Java ap?)
NP: Arturo Sandoval's version of A Night In Tunisia.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Good idea. Can get an idea of other peoples' tastes. Where is the film score forum Dan, sounds interesting?

NP: R.E.M. - Reveal (MP3 via WinAmp; coded with EAC and LAME).

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Maybe someone will make a WinAmp plug-in that lets you paste the current song into whatever you are typing (MsgBoard, E-Mail or IRC)

I know I have a plug-in at work that puts the song title in the middle of the screen whenever the song changes...

NP: Alisha's Attic - Karmically Close (From Illumina [1998] from a legal MP3 I made)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Aha! This was rumored to have started on the venerable Guided By Voices "Postal Blowfish" mailing list all the way back in 1995
Rubbish. I know of (and participated in) music forums using the "NP: blah" idea back in '91. And I'm sure it was around long before that... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks