A must read....interesting story

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sergio Stephano, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Sergio Stephano

HEY EVERYONE! i swear to god i dont know how i got into this craze of hometheater..i am only 14 years old and i wanted surround sound for my room and been saving up for a year or so...now i can't stop thinking about it..anyone know what i mean? well i would have really loved to have a lot of money and custom build mine but i had to buy a hometheater in the box..i bought this one the model is SON HTDDW830 and you can search for it in curcuit cities website. www.circuitcity.com. Now i have many different questions..because they are bugging me a lot! lol. Ok i have that systme and hooking it up to a philips dvd player which only costed $150 and has svideo, component, and optical and coax. I have been using it and it is VERY good i think, but now i see all these systems and im jealous =(. well i was using the optical cable from radio shack and the s-video but then i heard of these monster cables. I went and bought them tonight and there is soo much of a difference it's much better i bought the monster cable subwoofer and and optical. Can someone tell me if monster cables are good? because i see all of these people custom making them now, i dont understand. I have regular old speaker wire, should i upgrade that to monster wire speaker wire also? and change to monster video component?
    One last question should i go coax or optical if im going 3foot?
    Thanks and im getting tooo addicted hehe

2. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Hi Sergio. Welcome to the world of Home Theater.

You said you have "regular old speaker wire" - that's not specific enough. If it's 16 guage or thicker (lower number is thicker) then I'm sure it's fine for your HT in a box.

As far as coax vs. digital - I wouldn't waste much money there on cables, either should be fine in your setup.

It's easy to spend a fortune on cables, and if I were you, I'd be careful not to spend too much and save up for better speakers in time. Great speakers are a great investment.

Hope that helps. And don't be jealous about discussions of all these fancy systems. We all have to start somewhere and you're incredibly fortunate to have ANY system at your age. At this time of year it's good to remember that some people your age don't have anything to eat, or good shoes, or anything.

So be thankful for what you have and enjoy it.

Paul

3. Sergio Stephano

oic thanks man..i bought the monster optical and the subwoofer cables tonight with my mom and i heard a difference between the radio shack ones also. I could probably figure out how to make my own wires..should i return the monster and make my own? i gues it would be fun

4. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Yo Sergio,
    I'd say yeah, if it's not too much hassle, return the Monster Cables and try to make your own. Besides saving money (and perhaps putting the money towards better speakers later, like Paul said), you can learn something by making your own cables. And the pride of having built a part of the system is something money can't buy [​IMG].
    Cool to see that you're 14 because I got into audio when I was 13 or 14 and learned all about CD players and so on, and it interested me so much that I did electrical engineering in college. So now I can afford those cool things I wanted to get when I was younger, plus I really understand what's going on inside of them!!
    It's hard to hold back on new purchases in this hobby, but remember that not everything has to be top notch when you start off. But if you have questions, you've come to the best place I know of to have them discussed or answered!
    Best of luck with your HT hobby!
    -JNS

5. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

6. Greg Robertson

Greg Robertson Stunt Coordinator

Hey Sergio,
    Like they said, don't worry too much about cables. With your system you'll get more performance for the price out of upgrading components. As for the speaker wire, as long as you have 16ga or better, you're good. It's great, though, that you've discovered our little hobby here. I remember when I was 14 and put together my first audio setup. This was before any of my friends had a cd player and I had a cd changer hooked into a receiver [​IMG]. It wasn't exactly top of the line gear, but remember, no matter what you've got, there's always someone who has something better that you want (why this place can be so dangerous [​IMG]).
    Btw, I actually still use that receiver and speakers for my computer. My 11 year old sherwood and ZEBRA ACOUSTICS speakers are still kickin away. [​IMG]

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Sergio, congrats and welcome!
    I ~{like others im sure}~ would gladly trade all our equipment, Amps, Powered subs, Pre Pros, Racks, RTA's, ect, to avoid the pitfalls of poor un-informened choices and impulse buying of our youth....
    Just to be 14 again, and have this forum to help us learn about our ALL consumeing hobby...!
    -------------
    Aha little grasshopper, listen to the Many Wise Men Here.
    -------------
    **Enjoy** your new toys,, read read read, and ask ask ask.... That way your hard earned money is spent Wise, Well, and Informend...
    Congrates on your 1st new system! [​IMG]
    Best Regards
    Geoff

8. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer