What's new

A Movie Question (1 Viewer)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
What was the last movie, released in the US, that included a musical intermission?

A friend asked me this question the other day and I thought the collective minds of everyone here would help me answer him.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
The last 3 hr.+ movies I recall that HAD intermissions, even silent ones, were Reds in 1981 and The Last Emperor in 1987.
(Titanic had written in a break for one, but studios thought audiences wouldn't return to the theater to see the ship sink; Peter Jackson didn't want to break the worlds of the Lord of the Rings movies, and nobody's used them since.)

That would put it sometime in the 70's...Did "A Bridge Too Far" have one in '77?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Ejanss said:
The last 3 hr.+ movies I recall that HAD intermissions, even silent ones, were Reds in 1981 and The Last Emperor in 1987.
(Titanic had written in a break for one, but studios thought audiences wouldn't return to the theater to see the ship sink; Peter Jackson didn't want to break the worlds of the Lord of the Rings movies, and nobody's used them since.)

That would put it sometime in the 70's...Did "A Bridge Too Far" have one in '77?
The Last Emperor certainly did not have an intermission in 1987 and it only ran 2 hours and 43 minutes. The longer cut from 1998 may have had one but I don't know if this was ever released theatrically or not.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I Googled it, it came up with Ghandi, although if you are in India then Bollywood films to this day still have intermissions.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ejanss said:

The theater where I saw "Titanic" had an intermission. I still recall it because it was so odd, never having been to a film before that had one.

I don't know why anyone would care if some people don't return to the theater. They've already paid for their tickets. It would be no different than someone walking out in the middle of a bad film.

Plus, it might trigger a few more concession sales for the theaters as people restock on food and drinks.

But if you don't need to use the restroom, and don't want more food, intermission can be just annoying.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm R said:
The theater where I saw "Titanic" had an intermission.
That must have been a call made by that theater because Jim Cameron vetoed the idea of an intermission on Titanic because he correctly reasoned that if he had the audience halfway through the movie, he'd rather keep ratcheting up the tension and keep their attention.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
re: Titanic, I specifically remember one friend complaining about having to sit through three hours of sloshing water with no intermission! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks