What's new

A Movie Palace Is In Danger... (1 Viewer)

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Since we are talking about movie palaces in the Baltimore-DC corridor, does anyone have info on the status of the Uptown Theater? I read stories of its possible demise at the hands of AMC but have found few details other than a mention in the Washington Post late last year.

Andrew-V

Agent

I read in one of the articles in the Baltimore Sun on this issue that the main reason for this is the fact that most distributors have exclusive deals with The Charles Theatre, which is basically an art-house theater with a bunch of small screens.

Dreamgirls has been playing at The Senator since it's initial theatrical release (mid to late Decemeber). It's still playing there. Dreamgirls did not proove to be a commercial success domestically (relatively speaking of course), so I highly doubt the Senator management was that devoted to keeping that one film showing for two months.

Now, I'm not exactly sure how the rights work with 70mm prints for classic films. The Charles has no ability to project 70mm, but the only 70mm screening I've seen recently there was Lawrence of Arabia (and I think that was in 2002). It was a commercial success for the Senator and I'm curious as to why they don't try to dig up a 70mm print of 2001: A Space Odyssey or something.

From what I've seen, the classic films tend to pack many more theaters there than the Hollywood ones do. I recently saw The Rules of the Game there, which was an amazing experience. There was a decent showing for a Monday night.

I also remember the 35mm print of Apocalypse Now Redux having a decent crowd back in 2001.

I am extremely curious to know what films are available to The Senator management for viewing, but are being overlooked.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I think you are thinking of another theater. I know that there was a two screen theater that was in trouble. The name doesn't come to mind right now.

Then, there is the Avalon, which was shut down, but was recently refurbished.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...vie%20Theaters

DC is actually in very good shape when it comes to movie theaters.

Jason

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so he needs less the 60 grand now?
doesnt seem lke much in context.

anyway what would the 91 grand do. allow full ownership.
or just paying off that part of a lease?

in other words what haoppens if the 91 gets paid.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I saw Rules of the Game there also, that was fun. I really wish they would do revivals more often, it's the perfect venue for such things.

Andrew-V

Agent
Evidently there will be a fundraising event Monday night showing the Harold Lloyd film "Speedy." It will be interesting to see how devoted the people of Baltimore are to saving the theater. I hope to attend and make a donation.

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator

I'll be there too.

Curious as to why the bank has raised the amount needed to prevent foreclosure and auction. I don't really understand how he could need 91K to start, then it was 93K, now the websight says he need 109K???

Andrew-V

Agent
I've been a little suspicious of that myself. I don't doubt that the Senator is having monetary issues (because I have seen many empty seats there myself upon my visits), but I find it difficult to fathom why the deficit keeps increasing so close to the deadline.

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator
I wasn't trying to imply that the Senator folks were at fault or not being totally forthcoming. In a phone conversation yesterday with a very frustrated Tom K, he stated that the bank had "just moved to goal post" and that he needed to update the websight. I was wondering what allows the bank to do this?

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Well it seems the Senator has been saved for now. I hope this is the last time it needs to be, and I hope to see more revivals in the future.

As to the raising of the amount needed, apparently it was due to legal fees and such associated with the potential foreclosure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks