What's new

A modest tweak with results that can make you smile (1 Viewer)

DanaA

Screenwriter
Philip,

I emailed you the information. Let me know if you don't get it.

You also might want to wait just a bit longer to that Mobile review over at the Klipsch board that Manuel is expecting in the near future. I went over there and searched around a bit and found just how skeptical his postings were in the past regarding the ADE-24. He seems to be a tried and true tube love, so, given his skepticism and his taste in sound, as well as the fact that he seems extremely knowledgable, I'm almost anticipating a luke warm review, but will be very pleased if it's better.

If I recall, he's never heard the ADE-24 before, but did try out a device he thought was similar, but tube based.

Dana

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The manual says it is designed only for digital recordings up to 44.1Khz As I understand it some DAC's do a not so wonderful work when dealing with a digital signal, so instead of a resulting sinewave you have more something like a squarewave. This last one is composed of the original wave and spurious higher frequency harmonics. The ADE-24 is designed to clean up those harmonics and leave a more analog like sinewave, specially at high frequencies. I don't know if that is exactly what is happening, but it is my best guess.
I've asked this once before, but is it for sure that the ADE-24 will either have zero effect or even a deleterious effect on SACD signals (or, for that matter, upsampled CD signals)?

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Rich,
I suggest you to take a look at Stereophile reviews on CDP's. The upsampled DAC's do a much better job than normal ones regarding the noisy sinewave presentation. For example, take a look at this waveform, it is an undithered 1Khz sinewave at -90.31dBFS, 16-bit data:

Now take a look at this, everything is the same, except that it is now at 24-bit data:

The ADE-24 is designed (to my knowledge) to make the first image more like the second one, eliminating unwanted harmonics and leaving a more analog like waveform. Of course, with the higher sampling rate you have an almost perfect waveform, so it would be useless to try to "restore" it. Now, if you want to be really sure, I suggest you to contact Julian Margules, the ADE-24 designer. ;)

BruceD

Screenwriter
Manuel,

Could you please decipher the x-axis and y-axis unit measurements used on these graphs? We know it says Volts and Time, but what units?

Can you show us similiar info from Margules that represents what the ADE24 does to the signal ?

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Rich,

The manufacturer's say on the owner's manual that it is designed only to filter the DAC's of 44.1 sampling frequency, what I tried to show in those graphs is how a higher sampling frequency is already better to represent a sinewave than the sampling of CDP's.

BruceD,

It is my guess that something like that is happening, I have no way to demonstrate it. About the graphs I suggest you to go to Stereophile's site and take a look at their CDP's reviews. I took the graphs from there.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Manuel,

Since you were using the graphs to represent a point you made, I was hoping you understood them enough to provide some clarity.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
BruceD
I surely hope that too! ;) My point is simple. Looking at those graphs I understand that you don't need anything to "correct" the DAC output if you are using a higher end gear with higher sampling frequency.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks