A Modest Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Don Scott, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Don Scott

Don Scott Stunt Coordinator

I need to replace my current sub, the last piece left from my sony HTIB. The thing is that I'm not looking for a powerful sub. I have no interest in shaking the pictures on the wall, and my neighbors wouldn't appreciate it either. I checked out the few electronics stores in my area and was totally disappointed by the piss poor selection they had. One was an authorized Paradigm dealer, too expensive, another was pushing Nuance. The rest of the brands were like, KLH, Kenwood, Omage and even lesser known brands. I'm not familiar with Omage are they any good?
    So I guess I'm forced to look on line but the only online electronics stores in Canada that I'm familiar with is future shop and best buy. I'm looking to spend around $300(canadian) or so before taxes(15%). I've listed a few subs here from these stores in my price range, I would appreciate any input on these or other suggestions you might have. If anyone knows of other online stores in Canada please let me know.
    Thanks!

Velodyne VX-10BV $299.99
    Athena P.5 $299.99
    Polk PSW10 $299.99
    Polk AM1055-A $299.99
    JBL PB8 $250.00
    Athena AS-P300 $349.99

P.S. The room size is (12x12x7h). My current mains are yamaha towers but the plan is to upgrade soon to Axiom m22's.

2. Allen_N

Allen_N Stunt Coordinator

I think Craig just opened up a Canadian store or something like that? Might want to check with him.

3. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

4. Bryan P

Bryan P Extra

The Audioshop in Ottawa (audioshop.on.ca/energy.htm) has an excellent deal on the Energy S8.2 subwoofer. It is usually CD$399.99 and is now marked down to CD$249.99. This subwoofer is excellent for music and very good for home theater. Please note that The Audioshop will only ship Energy products to Canada. I have always found Marc Hallam at The Audioshop a pleasure to deal with.

5. Aaron_Mum

Aaron_Mum Stunt Coordinator

Hey Don if you don't care about the sub being powerful why not put that $300 into some better mains. I saw axiom has some floorstanders M40-M50 that may give you more performance where you can enjoy it.

My vote is the velodyne as they always get pretty good reviews. The reviews I have read about JBL subs are not good, stay away. I would also check out that Energy sub too unless it is an 8incher.

6. Don Scott

Thanks for the website Bryan. I don't think that those energy subs are available in their online store but it's a nice site for future reference for sure.

Hey Aaron, you have a point about putting that money towards floorstanders. I listen to music a lot, so they would be great for that. But I would still need a sub for movies. Would a surround system still sound good without a sub? If you had good mains that is, set to large.

7. Mitch_J

Mitch_J Stunt Coordinator

You can check out www.aperionaudio.com they have a small/powerful 8" as well as some subwoofer equipped floorstanders

8. Aaron_Mum

I ran paradigm monitor 7s for a few months on large while I collected funds for my sub. It sounds pretty good...until you hook up the sub, then the difference is night and day with both music and movies. There is no getting around that.

If you are not going to go push the system that hard a better quality speaker still may be a good trade off. I'd want something that outperforms the M22 in all areas (not just adding low end). You may not be able to achieve that with an extra $300. Who knows? You'd really have to demo this to figure it out and you are out of luck going that route with axiom!

Anyone else care to chime in?

9. Bryan P

Bryan P Extra

Under the terms of the agreement The Audioshop has with Energy, they are not allowed to list any Energy products in their online store. To get these deals, you must contact them by phone or email.

10. KenLeBlanc

KenLeBlanc Stunt Coordinator

Hey Don,
    Where in N.S. are you located ?
    I have an Athena Sub-8 that could be for sale. If you're in the Halifax area and that interests you, you're welcome to come over for a demo. Would be asking less than you're budget and the sub is only 3 months old. I got it in a package deal at Future Shop with some other Athena speakers I bought. It provides nice bass, especially for home theatre but I'd like to upgrade to something deeper like maybe an SVS. Don't have much information about the sub as it was a promotion and even the Athena website doesn't show it anymore ? nor does futureshop ? They originally sold it for $399 alone. I think it is probably similar to the AS-P300. It's an 8" driver, 300 watt peak etc... Anyway haven't put it up on the buy/sell/trade but if you're in the area and it interests you, let me know. I'm in the White's Lake area. I could also get you pictures and more info if you like.

P.S. Anybody know any good online retailers for purchasing Home audio equipment please let me know. Seems like we get the shaft here compared to all the websites you have in the states [​IMG]

11. Eric C D

Eric C D Second Unit

Over at AV123, they *had* a deal for Canadian orders that officially expired last month (search on Canada Part Deux). And they have supposedly have plans for a Canadian expansion, but You'll have to ask what is happening for the interim.

good luck,

P.S. Also good luck to both on the subwoofer upgrades!

12. Michael Lankton

Michael Lankton Auditioning

Spend a little more money and you can snag an Earthquake S-12 off ebay for $349. Looking at a thread on AVS, it looks like this sub may be competitive with the PB10-ISD.

13. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Whats wrong with a new SVS? Can't beat them for price and their service and products.... ...

14. Michael Lankton

Michael Lankton Auditioning

Nothing, I have a PB12-ISD. This guy seems to be on a budget though.

15. Don Scott

Hey Ken, I live in Cape Breton and I don't drive. Sorry dude but thanks for the offer.

Aaron, how do you like your monitor 7s. A local dealer had the monitor series on display and they look very nice.

16. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The JBL12"(E) woof can be found around $250 at onecall and JR now. And the S120ii is still around $350 I think. both are very good for the money.

Tom V.
    SVS

17. Aaron_Mum

Hey Don:

I am happy with the Monitor 7s, they are a nice speaker. I have had a lot of success tinkering around with the positioning. It has made a huge difference. You sometimes think that a certain speaker doesn't have a large soundstage, or are too bright but really it is the positioning. How I first had mine set up they were too close together, not perfectly symmetrical in the room and toed in too much. I had a great center image but little else. With moving them the soundstage got much better and the music began to present itself more effortlessly. I plan on experimenting with sound panels coming up. Should be good. I think monitor 7s work really great for HT but just get you going for 2 channel.

I was ruined however when I went to a demo night at my local dealer to listen to the Sonus Faber Stradivari coming in at a cool $80,000. The monitor 7s sounded like a clock radio after that!

18. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

Don. dont get that jbl PB8. I have it, and only because I got it for free with my EC-25 centre. It sounds terrible and i wouldn't pay more than $100 CDN for it.
    just my 2 cents.

19. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

I've been fairly happy with my JBL Northridge E150 (10" and 150wpc), got it for about $160 shipped and brand new, off eBay. Go there and do a quick search.

Looking back I'd probably blow an extra $50 and get the E250 (12" and 250wpc) but that's only because I have a huge listening room.

The Northridge series is supposed to be a definite one or two notches above the PB series.

20. Don Scott

Aaron, have you heard the monitor 9's. I'm just wondering if the 8" woofers make much of a difference. Also do you have the CC-370 center, if so what do you think of it?

*Don. dont get that jbl PB8. I have it, and only because I got it for free with my EC-25 centre. It sounds terrible and i wouldn't pay more than $100 CDN for it.
    just my 2 cents.*

I noticed that offer a while back at futureshop, so I figured it couldn't be all that good.