What's new

A Modest Proposal on Equipment Reviews (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Friends,
One of the many great things we have going here on the HTF is the ability to tap into many audiophiles and videophiles across the country for reviews on various equipment - witness the various threads on the univeral DVDA and SACD players. We all benefit by getting often early data points before normal audio magazines publish and we get early spec sheets. This is just fantastic for those of us who like to be on the cutting edge and/or just have a general interest in equipment
To make this information even more valuable, I would like to suggest we list our associated equipment at the beginning of the thread so others have a better basis of comparison. Some components sound different in different systems. If we know what speakers, amps, cables, pre-amps, receivers, etc. are being used, then we can make even better judgements...
A better way to go, no?
:)
Lee
P.S. Since we only list the equipment on the first post, and NOT in our signature lines, we also keep cool with HTF policy on signatures! :)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Lee I'd rather see it in the profile then in the first post. The problem with including it in the first post is that if a person uses the search function to find some info on gear "X" they will get every single post by people that own that item that have also done a review on something. By putting it in the profile we can all check it pretty easily if we wish.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Lee - also when I evaluate something, besides on one of my systems, I generally lend it out to a couple of friends and then we take it into a retail store and play with it on other things. For example, this Thursday I will likely get my DV-47A back after we hook it to a Sharp 9000 on a Grayhawk 110 inch screen and compare it to a Rotel DVD-A player and a bunch of other things both audio and video. That is also why I have more than one system in my house as well so I can see and hear how something performs in different set-ups.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I agree that the profile is likely the best way to go. :)
Phil A,
Trying on different systems is good. I guess I was coming from the viewpoint of an audiophile that is familiar with different components matching up differently than others. In other words, different combinations of equipment lead to different sonic characteristics.
Lee

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Lee - hopefully I will have the DV-47A back tomorrow and a chance to try it on some familiar things in a store that will give some frame of reference. My main system is apart while the room is being painted awaiting my Sharp 9000. In my systems almost everything that is used as a power cord or interconnect is something I make.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, I always have a link to my equipment list in my signature. In posts, I will make reference to which system the component in question is being used in -- the main stereo system, second stereo system, or home-theater system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks