A Minute With Stan Hooper ongoing thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Gabe D, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I'm sad to see that tonight's episode of "A Minute with Stan Hooper" has been pulled in favor of a rerun of "That '70s Show." I hope this is just for sweeps, and not a permanent cancellation. In my opinion "Stan Hooper" has been the best new show this year.

If you're not familiar with it, it's the new Norm Macdonald sitcom. Several critics compared it to "Newhart," although I think its actually a lot closer to "Green Acres." Any fan of "Green Acres" or "NewsRadio" should check this show out...if it comes back.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I've seen the episodes, and it's mildly amusing to watch Norm's reaction to being basically stuck in a parallel universe of small town hijinx. It's very surreal in spots. I watch because I have a soft spot for Penelope Anne Miller, as well.

3. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

The show was funny at first but the stupidity level of the town is a joke that is dying fast.

Plus the butler really annoys me [​IMG].

4. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

I love the show and Norm McDonald's humor. He was a guest last week on a late show (I think it was Letterman). He discussed everything except his new Fox show. As the interview was winding down he was even asked whether he wanted to discuss the show and he sort of indicated he didn't. Right then I sensed that he knew more about Fox networks intentions than I did.

5. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    The shows okay, and I'll probably watch as long as it's on. But if it's pulled I won't miss it.

Seems kind of crazy that networks keep pulling shows so quickly just to replace them with repeats of older shows.

I guess eventually networks will only have 3 or 4 big shows that they run multiple times a week (The multiplex mentality).

6. Shea

Shea Stunt Coordinator

Big Norm McDonald fan here. I like him, but haven't liked the show that much. I liked his old show on ABC though..

7. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator

Dang... I thought the new Norm show would increase the chances of the old Norm show coming out on DVD.

8. Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver Supporting Actor

11/26/03 episode

This isn't one of my favourite shows but I really enjoy it and its quite a good comedy not as good as my current favourites this year (Arrested Development, Happy Family & Run of the House) but I enjoy watching it every week.

The Thanksgiving one had some of the funniest lines ever.

(When getting his picture taken with the hunting party Stan points his gun at someone's head)

Lou: We like to point those things on the ground Stan.

Stan: This is a turkey caller you see turkeys are attracted to the sound of other turkeys.

Fred: I don't know about you Hooper but i'm trying to kill a turkey not seduce one.

(Stan is in the back of the Truck with his feet out the window and suddenly the window starts going up.)

Stan: HEY! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Pete: Oh now i can here you HEY! HEY! HEY HEY! to you Stan.

And i love the theme song it really is cool.

Big City, Big Frown
    Big City, Slow Down
    Stan Hooper, Moving To A Small Small Town.

9. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

To me the show keeps getting better. At first I thought it was lame and not funny, but the one about the pool game and last night's episode had me laughing through most of the episodes. Hopefully it'll last long enough to get better and funnier.

10. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

I thought it was pretty good until someone pointed out it was a Newhart ripoff.

Now I think it sucks. It's the same damn show!

11. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Fox officially canceled Norm's latest failure, leaving seven episodes unaired.

I liked the show, cause I liked Norm. But I can't say I am surprised.

12. WillG

WillG Producer

That's too bad. I like Norm and his off beat sense of humor, but he can't seem to catch a break. I saw the show once, I was not all that impressed. I liked the ABC show, however. I hope it gets on DVD eventually. I think it would actually do well on DVD