What's new

A Mighty Wind? (new Christopher Guest movie) (1 Viewer)

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
Oh man, I can't wait for this! I knew Guest was making another movie, but I didn't know Michael McKean and Harry Shearer would be in it. This is probably the closest thing we'll ever get to another Spinal Tap reunion. The Folksmen. I love it. Could that be a homage to The Thamesmen, one of the former names of Spinal Tap?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
A MOVIE ABOUT THE FOLKSMEN!!! How did I miss this? I will be there the first day it comes out :D :D

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I saw this preview too! It was hilarious. They will do to 60's folk music what they did to community theater and dog shows, and I can't wait. They poke lots of fun, but it's done in such a sweet way. They obviously love and respect their targets, but see and chuckle at the silliness.

I loved this from the preview. An interviewee says "You went to the record store and you knew that the new Folksmen album would be one title, Hitchin', Wishin', Ramblin', Singin' (showing 60's stereotypical folk album covers) but they had no hole in the center of the records. If you punched a hole in the center of them you'd have a good time." :D

Another guy says "There had been abuse in my family, but it was mostly musical in nature." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Mickey" from "Mitch and Mickey" says "Mitch was mysterious, intense." Mitch then says "I don't remember much...uh..."

All the usual suspects are here. Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy, Michael McKean, Bob Balaban, Ed Begley Jr., Catherine O'Hara, Parker Posey, Harry Shearer, Fred Willard, Jennifer Coolidge (Stifler's mom) and several other regulars.

It starts a limited release April 18.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I saw it on E! News Live or E! News Weekend, I forget which one. If you want to try to catch it (no guarantees), E! News Weekend will be repeated Monday morning 3 times, at 6am, 7am, and 11am (*CENTRAL* time). It's an hour-long show (so is E! News Live), and that is correct, they play it and then repeat it immediately. Weird. The preview was a couple of minutes long.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
This is one movie I know I'll enjoy this year. Even if I never get to see it at the theater, I know I'll be buying the DVD the day it comes out.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
The E! channel has a show called "Coming Attractions" that plays only trailers. Seems weird, but I think it's a good idea. Trailers look better on television than they do on the computer, unless you have a killer system, and you usually never know when they're going to play. (Yeah, they look best in the movie theater, but even then, you don't always know what trailers are going to play.)

Anyway, I just saw a Coming Attractions and they played the trailer for A Mighty Wind. The show is repeated endlessly, but I don't know how long this one has been playing and when it changes again. The trailer shown here is just slightly longer than what E! News Live played a couple of weeks ago. There were quite a few quick scenes that weren't in that one ("He's a dead person now, but when he was alive, he was so happy").

According to my Tivo, *a* Coming Attractions (no guarantees that it's *this* Coming Attractions) will play:

2/7 7:00am (all times are Central, I'm in Chicago)
2/8 6:30am
2/9 2:30am

Further upcoming shows:
2/10 2:00am
2/13 5:00pm
2/14 7:00am
2/15 6:30am
2/16 6:00am
2/17 2:00am

On this show they played the trailers for Kill Bill (yay!), Bulletproof Monk, The Life of David Gale, A Mighty Wind, Tears of the Sun, The Hunted and Bruce Almighty.

"There had been abuse in my family, but it was mostly musical in nature."

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I saw the trailer when I saw Chicago...
OMG, this film looks HILARIOUS :D

It's the best thing next to Spinal Tap 3 ;)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
The "Folksmen" are going to be on David Letterman Tuesday, April 8, and on MAD TV Saturday, April 12.

I don't get you people who say you're wanting to see this, but have already decided to wait for the DVD. This is exactly the type of movie you SHOULD be supporting at the theater.

I hope you're not also the type of people who complain that there's never anything good playing at the theaters (just blockbusters and mindless comedies).

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I despise going to a movie theater to watch a movie. I think the moviegoing experience is overrated and mostly uncomfortable. If the year was 1955 or even 1983 perhaps my attitude might be absurd, but it's 2003 and movies come out on DVD within a few months of their theatrical release so I have no strong urge to see movies in theaters when I have a comfortable home theater. However, I do see the BIG movies in a theater when they come out and by that I mean titles like Star Wars, LOTR, and X-Men movies. For me everything else can wait until it hits DVD.

The social aspect of going to a movie theater holds no attraction for me, but that doesn't mean I don't like movies. When I was a kid I used to cry if I couldn't see a movie on opening weekend and such, now I'm patient.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
I can understand why someone would wait to for this movie to come out on DVD because it'll probably never see wide release in theaters. Luckily I'm often in the Chicago area and should be able to find a theater where it's showing.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Caught this one at the SXSW film festival and I heartily enjoyed every minute.

This one fits alongside Best in Show and Waiting for Guffman quite nicely and will absolutely have fans giggling a lot.

Fred Willard* absolutely steals the show in his few scenes, Bob Balaban is VERY funny, Parker Posey is just great, O'Hara and Levy share some hilarious moments together, and Harry Shearer! :):) Just wait.

You guys will love this one.

(*He plays a former 'catch-phrase comedian' and my friends and I were losing our metaphorical shit every time he opened his mouth. I thought Willard was the weak spot in Best in Show but here he's brilliantly funny.)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
"Break Like the Wind" was a Spinal Tap album...the spiritual forefathers of The Mighty Wind.

Ramblin',

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks