A Midnight Clear - specs + extras

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Mirza, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

New Fullscreen HiDef transfer (this may be a "pan&scan on the fly 16x9 transfer, I'm not positive on this); DD 2.0 Surround; Subtitles; Audio Commentary with director Keith Gordon & star Ethan Hawke; deleted scenes with director commentary; trailer
    SRP $24.95, June 4th
    [​IMG]

2. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Well I suppose it's better than barebones, but I'll never know.

And sheesh, will that studio EVER release a DVD without the big stars heads on the cover? So un-artistic!

3. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Still not buying one... no OAR = No Sale.

4. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

The extras sound great, but I will not be buying this DVD because it's not OAR. Once again, thank you Colubmia/Tri-Star.

5. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Question: what was the point of them going out to get a brand new commentary, restore deleted scenes with commentary, and then release it in P & S only?!?!

That's got to be the most ass-backwards logic ever!

6. JasonPritchett

I'm still a bit confused about all of this "anamorphic pan&scan" terminology. I have a regular 4:3 TV. If I change the settings on my DVD player to "4:3 letterbox" on A MIDNIGHT CLEAR (assuming it IS, in fact, "anamorphic pan&scan"), how will it be displayed? In widescreen, or in this "forced" pan&scan mode? Does anyone know for sure?

7. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Columbia Tri-Star has a habit of placing these words on the artwork:

"Digitally Mastered Sound & Anamorphic Video"

Even for some "academy ratio" films like From Here to Eternity.

To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday & A Midnight Clear are modified aspect ratios. They are not enhanced for 16:9 sets in any way.

As for the high-definition mastering...

You can do a high-definition master for any DVD release. They do not have to be 16:9 enhanced.

Planet of The Apes(1968) has a letterbox widescreen transfer mastered in high-definition.

None of the open-matte and pan & scan DVDs coming from Columbia Tri-Star are 16:9 enhanced or encoded for pan & scan on the fly.

16:9 pan & scan works like the DVD menus. The menu is encoded for 16:9, but on a 4:3 monitor, the sides are cropped off. When displayed on a 16:9 monitor, you see the complete menu. The film should be properly downconverted though to display in widescreen on a 4:3 monitor when 4:3 letterbox is chosen from the menu.

8. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

so, rutger, you're taking a definitive stance that the entire article posted at DVD Angle is fiction and that the DVD authoring company who assisted them in writing it is completely wrong?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is true (and I do think it's probably a default label issue...unless by "Fullscreen", they really do mean Fullscreen for everyone's TVs - 16:9 and 4:3 sets). I just don't know what to think of DVD Angle's report though.

9. JasonPritchett

What's even more frustrating is that Columbia won't just come out and clear up everyone's confusion. It's nearly impossible to get anyone from CTHE to answer an e-mail, and even when they do, it seems to be a form answer. Someone from Columbia MUST know that there's a lot of frustration among DVD consumers right now, particularly online. Why won't they just release a statement clarifying exactly WHAT they're releasing? It's truly bizarre.

10. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

As for me, I'm not buying ANYTHING unless it's clearly and unambiguously marked as enhanced for 16x9. If CTS wants to lose my business, that's their choice. [​IMG]

11. rutger_s

The back of the cover for From Here To Eternity:
    [​IMG]
    Notice the "Digitally Mastered Audio & Anamorphic Video" listing and right under that, the listing "Standard Version."

12. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

Notice the bottom line? Original aspect ratio 1.33:1???

13. rutger_s

From Here To Eternity was filmed in the "academy ratio." The film is presented properly on the DVD but its not enhanced for 16:9 monitors.

14. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

15. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

16. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

That awful cover art just adds insult to injury to this situation. Sorry Columbia, I am not buying this FUBAR release.

17. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Man, is this frustrating! Aside from the issue of the aspect ratio (which is IMO the most important), this DVD sounds sweet!
    Too bad I'll never get to experience the commentary for myself, as I (much like all of you) wouldn't even RENT a fulscreen/PnS DVD, let alone purchase one!
    Putting a commentary on a non-OAR movie? I'm reminded of Robert Prosky in Christine, who said "You can't polish a turd."
    When this one is released in its proper form, I'll gladly purchase a copy.

18. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

And here is the modified cover art:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

FYI- On the 2nd page of the Columbia Tri-Star "We're looking into it" thread Ron has confirmed that the DVD Angle report on "Pan-Scan on the fly" is bogus.

20. NeilEdwards

NeilEdwards Stunt Coordinator

I have the 1:33 version of A Midnight Clear on VHS, so thinking it was Open Matte, I fast forwarded through the first 30-40 minutes of the film. Yes, it really looks like it was shot in Open Matte.

Although I am not happy with it, I can live with it selecting the zoom aspect on my TV. The quality will not be as good as it would have been in 16:9 anamorphic, but again I can live with it.

What I wish is that the studios would develop a standard to describe how they are f***ing up the movie ... and stick to it.

Use the term "full screen" on movies pre 1952 and those films that were really shot full screen. "Open Matte" on those films that were shot to be cropped in the theatre, but really "NOT modified to fit a first generation TV aspect". "Pan and Scan" to let us know that they have really messed the thing up ... etc.