A Message to those B5 fans out there with Showtime(About Jeremiah)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CaptDS9E, Jul 2, 2002.

1. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

JMS posted this on the b5 newsgroup. Its about Jeremiah having a second season. Everyone if you have showtime tune into the last 3 episodes of season 1. Heres JMS's post

"A call out to all B5 fans

Okay, so here's the deal. There are now three episodes remaining of Jeremiah's
    first season, "A Means to an End," by Sara Barnes, and the two part "Things
    Left Unsaid" by yr obdnt srvnt.

The first is a quieter, more personal story but also sets up what's going to
    happen in the two-parter, and the latter (directed by Mike Vejar, our good luck
    charm on B5 who did our best episodes) is pretty much nonstop intensity and
    action and character stuff end to end.

Though we're already doing well, it would be great to go out on a real bang
    ratings wise, so I'm going to try an experiement. If every B5 viewer who sees
    this can get the word to every other viewer who gets Showtime normally (I
    wouldn't sign up just for this, that's fiscally imprudent) to watch the next
    three episodes, that would be terrific. I think that would be sufficient to
    kick us over the edge into a sure renewal for year two.

And they're fun episodes on their own rights, even if you haven't seen the show
    before. Though "Means" is, again, a quieter episode, there's one scene in it
    that will have just about any SF fan worth his/her salt rolling on the floor.
    I can pretty much guarantee you it's something you haven't seen before.

As for "Things Left Unsaid," of all the things I've written and produced, this
    may be the best thing I've ever been involved with, from a production
    standpoint and much of the writing. We kind of got pulled back a bit after the
    events of 9/11 put a damper on the television business in terms of the kinds of
    stories one can tell, but we really got this puppy back up on the rails again
    with the two parter, which is emblematic of what we'll do in a second year.

Anyway...just a call out from here to B5 fandom, to see if it's still there, so
    we can get together one more time on a biggie.

Thanks.

jms"

2. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

If every B5 viewer who sees this can get the word to every other viewer who gets Showtime normally ... to watch the next three episodes, that would be terrific.
    Just curious, but would this really matter? I mean, is there anyway for the producers to actually KNOW people are watching a show, unless they are a Nielson family?
    FYI, I not only watch the show, I burn VCD's of it and pass them along to family who don't subscribe. [​IMG]

3. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Actually it does matter to a certain extent. Some sat dish companies keep info like that of how many peopel are into one channel. Also the nielsons and also people who get these surverys in the mail. A few people i know have got them from showtime about which shows they watch on the channel

capt

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

While the last batch of eps since Tripwire have been slow, I expect the next episode (with Theo) and the season finale to be real ball-kickers.

Good stuff.

5. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

6. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

7. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

There are no resemblances to B5 in this show
    Well, there are a number of really bad speeches in the Jeremiah that reminded me of really bad speeches in B5. JMS still doesn't know how to write good dialog. [​IMG]

8. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

There are actually a few things from B5 that also run in Jeremiah story wise. They would take too long to go into detail about though. One example is that Thunder Moutain is like B5. As John Sheridan said in his famous intro speech [​IMG] " We are the best last hope of earth".
    As for JMS asking B5 fans. I became a B5 fan last year and i have learned to enjoy all of his work. I love his writing in spidey, i loved B5/Crusade/MOvies and now Jeremiah. So asking B5 fans to tune in isnt a bad thing. I mean Mike pillar asked Trek fans to watch the Dead Zone. Its not the highest rated show on cable tv.
    capt

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I disagree strongly: Jeremiah is almost exactly like B5 when it comes to pacing the story and developing the arc. Both shows concentrated on the characters and stand-alone episodes for the first season, with a couple of big arc episodes here and there to kick the arc into gear. Jeremiah's Firewall is like B5's Coming of Shadows (I think that was the episode's name; Morden's first appearance, "What do you want?")- they both introduce elements of a future enemy (Valhalla Sector, Shadows). Both seasons feature a sinister conspiratorial mysterious enemy in the background of the show and I suspect Jeremiah will bring Valhalla Sector out to play in season 2 and/or 3 (like B5 did with the Shadows). I would also wager that the big mysteries about what caused the Big Death and what happened with Jeremiah's father will all be solved in the second or third season, as was the Sinclair / Minbari War thing in B5, making way for an even bigger conflict.

The season finale will be huge: B5's was, JMS says so (I think), and it would be a good way of attracting and keeping viewers. JMS uses the season cliffhangers a lot.

10. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well I'm sorry I've never been a hanger on for shows or movies just because they were done by people who previously did something I liked. I loved B5, Like Crusade, but I gave Jeremiah a chance and just did'nt care for it. I did'nt like the characters or situation and it left me a bit cold. I have'nt watched it since. So while I like Joe for what he accomplished on B5 I can't blindly Jeremiah based on B5's Legacy.

11. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Jeremiah has been terribly dissapointing in it's first season. I stopped watching about 1/2 way through. I wish it would get better, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I hope that if it's meant to get better over time, that it get's it's second season. If it's more of the first, I'd be perfectly happy if Odyssey 5 got a better companion show.

12. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Did Showtime make a Mistake Cancelling Stargate? What was their decision in moving the show?

13. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

From what I understand, Showtime has not, and will not, ever run a program more than 5 years. They will be happy to provide it to Sci-fi, and even support them in it, as they did with Stargate (Showtime delayed the back end of the 5th season so there would only be 2 weeks between 5 and 6).

That makes shows like Odyssey 5 a great fit since the arc SHOULD be 5 years. I would have assumed that JMS would make the Jeremiah arc 5 years based on Babylon 5 before it, but I'm not sure there.

14. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Oh, and whether they made a mistake? Probably. Policies should never be hard and fast, they should be used as a guideline. Stargate meritted whatever additional fees a season 6 would have incurred. Clearly Sci-fi is aware of that.

15. Scott Littlefield

Scott Littlefield Stunt Coordinator

Well, to be fair, this was posted to a B5 newsgroup, not a JMS newsgroup.

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

To those who have not been liking Jeremiah lately, I will say this: I agree. Some of the stand-alone stuff is boring.

However, the next couple of episodes look really sweet: Theo is back and the season finale looks very promising. If they don't do it for me, I will probably stop watching and cancel Showtime.

If, on the other hand, they are good (which they have a lot of potential to be), I would expect the arc to get more time in the second season. This first season is like an introduction. By the time the crux of the story kicks into high gear, we will be able to understand and care about the characters more (I hope).

Basically, if you like the Valhalla Sector thing, the mystery of the Big Death, the question about the whereabouts of Jeremiah's father, the questionable motivations of Lee, and "what the hell is up with that Ezekial guy?", I would expect more of that coming up. The stuff with the circuses, the doctors, and the libraries is dull. In the long run, though, I would expect more of the former than the latter.

17. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

First off, I'll preface this with the fact that I have not seen an episode of Jeremiah. I do not have Showtime, and one show isn't good enough to shell out the bucks for it.

That being said, after seeing B5 and Crusade, I'd say that you never judge a JMS show from the first season. Considering his liking for large story arcs, it usually takes a season to set things up the way he wants it. Remember, the first season of B5 was nothing to crow about, until the season finale. It took a second season for it to really start to shine.

Based on B5, JMS gets the benefit of the doubt from me. I'm sure Buffy fans will say the same about Firefly when that starts up next season.

Jason

18. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

From here it looks like season one is setting up the players and the enviroment.

19. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Nigel,
    That's the main reason I watch it every week. It has the potential of becoming a great series.

20. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

yeah I am quite surprised, I laughed when I heard that Malcom-Jamal Warner was in it, but I think he is doing a pretty good job.
    Just saw Moon in Gemini, and I had to surf over to www.imdb.com to see if Ingrid Kavelaars had a twin sister, I should have just read the credits a bit closer [​IMG]