What's new

A Matter of Life and Death 4K (1 Viewer)

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Sony have completed a new 4K restoration of Powell and Pressburger's A Matter fo Life and Death in association with Park Circus. Grover Crisp's team handled the project. The 4K will debiut at this year's London FF in November. No doubt a Blu Ray wil follow. I am laying money the frist edition will be from Brit reegion free label Indicator.

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/lff/Onli...&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Well it's owned by ITV in the UK, so it could well be them who releases it, like they did with The Red Shoes & Colonel Blimp, & maybe Criterion in the US, all happening next year I'm sure
I think it would reuqire a license arrangement from Park Circus through a "neutral" label, i.e. not one associated with Canal/Network/Optimum/ITV. It's tricky because the restoation is principally Sony's property.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I question if this is a debut . Just like Yorkshire in the thread linked in Tino's post , I saw it about three years ago at the TCM Classic Film Festival, introduced by Thelma Schoonmaker, no less. It looked splendid.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I question if this is a debut . Just like Yorkshire in the thread linked in Tino's post , I saw it about three years ago at the TCM Classic Film Festival, introduced by Thelma Schoonmaker, no less. It looked splendid.
That was from a master produced by Sony ca. 2008. THis has just been completed starting with the 35mm and three strip elements which were used for the older restoration and was entirely rendered in the 4K domain with the full gamut of tools available to grading colcor timing and grain management . It will be a far superior beast.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Park CIrcus who is the theatrical arm for Canal in the UK is distributing the new 4K of Belle de Jour DCP, which will go to BD next year. So Canal witll almost certainly be the UK distributor for AMOLAD. US release is difficult to say. But I am assuming Crit can license it from Sony.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Gentlemen, this looks like the real deal.

The previous restoration by Grover Crisp was completely in the analogue domain, with the biggest problem being the misalignment of the 3-strip.

I can only presume that, if Sony have given it a 4k scan, they must surely have scanned the original 3 strip elements, and I find it difficult to believe they wouldn't then align the 3 correctly.

Other news - after showing at the BFI, it'll be 'touring' the UK from 7th December.

Christmas comes early this year.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Sorry that I'm having to repeat this, but I've just heard that this new restoration is a 4K scan of the version used for the DVD, and not a full, proper restoration re-aligning the 3-strip elements.

I desperately hope that this news is wrong, but it's from a reliable source.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sorry that I'm having to repeat this, but I've just heard that this new restoration is a 4K scan of the version used for the DVD, and not a full, proper restoration re-aligning the 3-strip elements.

I desperately hope that this news is wrong, but it's from a reliable source.

Three-strip mis-registration can, for the most part, be digitally corrected.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
That's my understanding. Indeedd it's what happened with TRS and Blimp.

But don't you have to scan all 3 strips separately?

Any idea what's been done this time?

Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZeppelinDude93
Recent bookmarks