What's new

"A Man For All Seasons" - HD DVD? I have one but can't find a listing... (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I picked up a 2005 "New High Definition" transfer of the 1966 Oscar Winner movie "A Man For All Seasons" which the new Columbia / Sony released. Got it for under $4. at Big Lots and has a different cover art than the releases seen online. The transfer is gorgeous even on my non HDTV but don't see it listed anywhere else. What is going on? Is this a test market print or are they seeding the market some way? Or is there a HD list from Columbia-Sony that I haven't seen that includes this and if so, why don't retailers like Amazon and the likes carry the newer version?

Eric

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Tantalising stuff; I've held off buying this hoping against hope Sony would get their collective fingers out and give us an SE, but a beautiful HD transfer would be second prize.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
1. A "high definition transfer" does not mean a high definition DVD (HD DVD). Many DVDs are downrezzed from an transfer scanned at HD resolutions.

2. Sony will release Blu-ray, not HD DVD.

3. I seriously doubt that Big Lots will be the first retailer to be offering HD DVDs when (if) they come to market. And I'm sure they won't be $4.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I just find it odd since I have not seen any of their other DVD's listing on the back "Remastered in High Definition" and is an Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1. Plus this has been out already in 1999 with other artwork but the © is 2005 by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. I have not seen this version listed on any e-tailer site. I find that odd too.

The transfer to me is rock solid and noticably sharper, unusual for a 1960s film on my 20" Phillips flatscreen.

Eric

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I recently saw this for the first time. Excellent movie.

Better yet, I watched the film on a RPTV 60' in progressive scan. The transfer is excellent. I think the confusion is around Columbia's wording... the film was remastered in HD, but of course, converted to NTSC. FYI, the film was restored from the original camera negative and the magnetic sound master by UCLA Film & TV Archive.

This and The Lion in Winter would be superb BluRay titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks