1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Man Called Shenandoah

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Kruzer31, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Kruzer31

Kruzer31 Agent

Doug
    Saw a post on the Warner Archive facebook page that A Man Called Shenandoah is in the works. No information on release date though.

2. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I will be in for this one.

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  3. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Supporting Actor

James Beer
    Maybe Colt .45 and Temple Houston, too?

4. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

I recorded them all complete off of GET-TV a couple of years ago, which I'm content with. Don't need them now really.

Darby67 likes this.
  5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Colt .45 is my most wanted western from WA.

6. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

I'm sitting on a stack of episodes that I'm holding off from transferring because I know once I get done, WA will announce the series. I wonder what the holdup is on this show.

Darby67, Flashgear and Ron1973 like this.
  7. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

This time last year they said they had to complete music clearance and then the episodes needed to be remastered. Since they managed to clear their other western shows, I expect them to clear this one. The exception being the Alaskans which is tougher to clear like the detective shows. So they may be in the remastering process right now. I would guess at least season 1 is a safe bet for sometime this year.

Darby67, Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  8. oldtvshowbuff

James Beer
    A Man Called Shenandoah is now scheduled for a May 8th release from WA.

Darby67, Blimpoy06 and Flashgear like this.
  9. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Well this keeps adding to the total of prime-time shows from the 1965-66 season now available on DVD!

Gunsmoke S11
    Perry Mason S9
    Rawhide S8
    Bonanza S7
    Andy Griffith Show S6
    The Flintstones S6
    Dick Van Dyke Show S5
    Hazel S5
    Dr. Kildare S5
    Combat! S4
    The Virginian S4
    The Lucy Show S4
    McHale's Navy S4
    Patty Duke Show S3
    My Favorite Martian S3
    The Fugitive S3
    Flipper S2
    Addams Family S2
    Munsters S2
    Gilligan's Island S2
    Gomer Pyle USMC S2
    Bewitched S2
    Man From UNCLE S2
    Daniel Boone S2
    Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea S2
    Batman S1
    Lost In Space S1
    Honey West S1
    The Loner S1
    I Spy S1
    Wild Wild West S1
    The Big Valley S1
    The FBI S1
    Daktari S1
    Laredo S1
    Green Acres S1
    Gidget S1
    F Troop S1
    I Dream Of Jeannie S1
    Get Smart! S1
    Hogan's Heroes S1
    Branded S1
    My Mother The Car S1
    Hank S1
    A Man Called Shennadoah S1

Add these Brit shows that aired in US prime time during the season.

The Baron
    Secret Agent (Danger Man)

And the next release of Peyton Place will contain the first episodes that were part of the 65-66 season.

10. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Randy, there was more than one season?

James

11. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

This post was in reference to Colt .45 hopefully being in the works. There were 3 seasons of Colt .45 but only 1 season of Man from Shenandoah.

Darby67, Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  12. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    I am looking forward to the release of A Man Called Shenandoah. I don't remember watching this before, so it will be nice to have another western to enjoy for the first time.

13. oldtvshowbuff

James Beer
    The Travels of Jamie McPheeters is a possibility for release later this year by WA for the appeal of a then child-actor Kurt Russell, also not to mention the Osmond Bros., who sang the theme song over the end credits.

14. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    GRIT has been showing an extended feature length version of the last episode of THE TRAVELS OF JAMIE McPHEETERS, called GUNS OF DIABLO. It's in color. The series was in black and white. MGM made it in the same time-frame they filmed a couple of extended color features from the first season of THE MAN FROM UNCLE, which was in black and white, except for the episodes they planned to expand for the features.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  15. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Cinematographer

It's interesting that at the same time AMCS was being made Larry Cohen had created Coronet Blue for CBS. Both shows had the same premise: a man with amnesia searching for his identity. Two big differences: Coronet Blue was filmed in color and took place in the 1960s New York. Due to management changes at CBS that show was put on shelf for two years before it aired in the summer of 1967. And now, both shows are out on DVD!

Doug Wallen, Darby67, Regulus and 3 others like this.
  16. Cowboy

Cowboy Stunt Coordinator

Robert
    Does anyone know if you order direct from Warner Archive that you can get a pressed set?I understand
    Amazon purchases are MOD only.This show would be a blind buy,may get it if they are remastered and uncut.

Flashgear likes this.
  17. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I just received my copy yesterday. I have never seen the show before. Watched the 1st episode and it looks to be a good show. They are not pressed discs. The quality is excellent. They were remastered and are uncut running a little over 25 minutes each. Highly Recommended for Western TV show fans.

18. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

I agree, its a good show. However, similar to The Californians, I'm not a big western fan and I'm quite content with having both series recorded from GET-TV, complete and uncut. Especially at BOD prices.

Jeff Flugel, Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  19. Message #19 of 37 May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Man Called Shenandoah is a very good Western, although the central theme of the show sometimes strains credibility at times with "Shenandoah" being recognized, attacked, deceived or led on to nowhere by people who know his real identity, or have clues to finding the truth about him, in just about every episode...ultimately never really learning his real name and identity before the series was unfortunately cancelled. The show still holds interest as they establish some critical details about his past, however. In the course of the 34 episodes, some satisfying continuity is established in the compelling mystery with Shenandoah following up on clues and characters introduced previously. This is a good action show with a lot of great location shooting at Mammoth Lakes, Old Tucson, Mojave at Lone Pine etc. And the guest stars are wonderful!

Man Called Shenandoah was created by E. Jack Neuman, who also wrote most of the episodes. This was the first show that Neuman did right after Mr. Novak, and also for MGM. Boris Sagal, also from Mr. Novak, directed. The great Nathan Juran and Tom Gries also directed a number of episodes. Fred Freiberger was one of the producers on Man Called Shenandoah, right about the same time as he was producing the second pilot for Star Trek. There are many Trek alumni seen on Man Called Shenandoah...DeForest Kelly, Leonard Nimoy, James Doohan, Susan Oliver, Sally Kellerman, Paul Carr, Warren Stevens, Frank Gorshin all appear on this show. Other great guest stars like Beverly Garland, Geraldine Brooks, Anne Helm, Martin Landau, Ed Asner, Bruce Dern, Claude Akins, Warren Oates, Robert Loggia, Nehemiah Persoff, John Dehner, Albert Salmi, John Mcintire, Jeanette Nolan, Gregory Walcott, John Anderson, Ed Binns, Milton Selzer, Cloris Leachman, David Sheiner, Charles McGraw, Harry Dean Stanton, Bing Russell, Henry Jones, Leif Erickson, Lloyd Bochner, Joyce Van Patten, Andrew Duggan, Norman Fell, John Ireland, Diana Hyland and Gary Merrill...

Publicity photo for episode 2, "Survival" with guest star John Anderson...
    [​IMG]

The lovely Susan Oliver in episode 18, "Rope's End"...Alabama rocks at Lone Pine, CA...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My copy of Man Called Shenandoah is on the way to me...I'm alright with burned discs on quality media, the only problem I've ever had with a WAC disc was on a pressed disc for The FBI...I'm glad that another B+W MGM TV show has been released by WAC...with Mr. Novak S1 hopefully coming soon...I would hope for The Thin Man TV series too, though I'm worried that there are more complicated rights issues with that one than some others. And WAC has a lot of great MGM, RKO and WB classic feature films for Blu ray in the que also...

20. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    I like how Robert Horton starts riding the same Appaloosa horse he rode on WAGON TRAIN.

Jeff Flugel, Darby67 and Flashgear like this.